Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Title
    Premium Member

Experiencing malfunctions with AR during 3 gun matches

This season I've had malfunctions with my AR cost me at 3 matches. The malfunctions all occur with one specific round that I load.

First a little background on the malfunction.

What has been happening, is that I'm shooting long range targets, and suddenly one round will slip off the extractor and get stuck in the chamber. If I'm able to clear it, it happens again, and again, all with the same ammo. So it's definitely an ammo related issue.

One of my squad mates picked up some of the ammo I cleared during the malfunctions, and I tossed it into my bad to measure later. Unfortunately there were only two rounds that were recovered, and one was an obvious double feed.

I began looking closely at my other ammo, and after case gauging the rounds, many of them are below the bottom cut on my Wilson case gauge.

They all happen to be with LC brass, which I myself didn't resize.

My question is, how far below the bottom of the gauge can I go? When I personally resize my brass, it's always sized a hair above the bottom on the case gauge.

Seeing as I have about 600 rounds loaded, I'm wondering what length under the bottom line would be passable to shoot? I believe anything .006 undersized is probably too much, but where would the line be drawn? Is .003 good? .004?

It really sucks that I have to deal with this, but it is what it is.

I know that the most logical path is to go through every round and measure them in the gauge, and then dismantle all rounds that are below the minimum. Since so many are below the minimum, I'd like to save myself some trouble, and hear everyone's thoughts on where they would draw the line in this situation.

Just as an FYI, I found one round that was very undersized....it measure .009" below the bottom of the case gauge.....there's probably no doubt that that one would have caused issues lol.

The barrel I'm using is a match grade barrel with a match grade/sized chamber that I've had measured by a competent gunsmith. He said that my headspace is about .002 above the bottom line on the gauge....basically this is what he recommended I size my brass to.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by FastSplits; 09-17-2018 at 07:45 AM.