Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Weighing Empty Cases?

I need some help. I hear that some weigh their empty cartridges to help with accuracy and reloading. What range do we allow for discrepancy? Do we weigh in grains for the empty cartridge? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Title
    Premium Member

Weighing Empty Cases?

No expert by any means but I do sort mine in 1 grain sets do notice Es spread gets tighter not sure about the accuracy being better just the way I was taught to load and process brass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    I used to weigh my brass for my precision rifles, trying to get every last ounce of accuracy out of them. For my standard hunting rifles I have never weighed brass. It all just depends on how far into it you want to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I weigh my cases only for the reason to obtain case capacity. Weigh case. Notate weight. Fill with alcohol and weigh again. Use case weight to subtract from gross weight and you have case capacity in grains. That is what matters in my opinion. Case capacity directly effects pressure and therefore effects velocity. The closer case capacity is the more those cases will be consistent when used with other techniques. And I trim all brass before weighing. Remove all variables to obtain more consistency.

Title
    Premium Member
    Going for that one almighty supper accurate load then yes. Basically what is going on is every time you resize the case it stretches, thus why you need to trim it. Well to stretch a piece of metal requires it to get thinner. So upon resizing, the die resizes the outside of the case thus making the case wall just a bit thinner. Depending on the factory case, brand, how many times it has been reloaded, how much force the die puts on the case, effect how much you need to trim and the inside diameter of the case that is left. Thus a new case and say a case that has been loaded lets say 10 times, the x10 case will have a different pressure curve then the new case before it can over come the neck tension to start moving the bullet because of the bigger area inside the case. At this level of loading there are a lot more variables, bullet length ogive to base, bullet weight, powder used, primer compound, humidity, barometric pressure and so on. I have shot with guys years ago that had 1,000+ yd loads just for different humidity levels and temps. They would go through a box of 500 bullets and only 10-20 would pass to be loaded.