Happy Father's Day .
My Dad always sold himself short on the upbringing he gave me . Mom Dad contributed some , forgiving mostly . But my Dad taught me the color of ones skin means nothing but they tan darker .....or not . He taught me right from wrong , how and when to stand you ground . If you're right and you have to stand ground ....... Well do what's necessary .
He also taught me to be generous and kind and to help those that couldn't help themselves . That sometimes folks need just a little help to find their feet .
Sure he had his faults and perhaps actual forgiveness was among them . He changed a lot late in his life , he said several times he didn't know how I became the Dad I did but that he was proud of me for doing so .
At the end he asked if I had anything I wanted to tell him . I guess I was all talked out when said "Dad it's okay to go , I'll be here to do the heavy lifting . You were my mentor."
In hindsight it was a bit of a Gump moment "if I'd knowed it'd be the last thing I said to him Ida said something more important ." I figure he got the point .