Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell

451 45 cal help me out .

I have a donor and a new .451/2 dia barrel that will soon be finished as a 24"+ barrel with a 8" straight major thread dia for a Savage 110 . It will taper and leave the last 6" straight at .750 . It will be screwed to an Axis donor action that most likely will be faced off to use the standard recoil lug .

As far as a cartridge goes it's a blank slate . The only qualification is that it has to be a .451 dia and fit a standard 06'/7RM length.
    I may hunt with it but I'm in Arkansas so it's 100yd max unless I can get a lease on fields or a pole line . It's all thick woods here .

Things I've done in an effort to get where I needed to go for some reason. All would be rimless.
    45 Colts carbine M92 at 20kpsi with a 350 gr bullet at 1300 fps MV.
    A 454 shouldn't have any trouble getting a little more .
    The 460 rimless 45 Raptor would use the 460 data I've gotten 1800 fps MV with a 350 gr
    This gets me into 45-60 type shooting a case full of slow rifle powder and I can size bullets from a .454 RB to 535 gr to what ever I need .
    I've considered the Alexander Arms whatever it's called rebated rim 45-70 but that's 458 .
    Not a big deal if I'm loading it but the next generation might not .
    There's the 450 BM .
    No hassles with making brass or making up data but the super heavies are still grey areas .

Of course I could go full wildcat and use a full length 06' case or a WSM , maybe a 450-2.25" like the 458 American but 2.25 instead of 2" so it won't chamber a WM and it'll a long jump should a 450 Marlin or or 458 American get in it .

So there it is spend my money on dies and a reamer .

Title
    Premium Member
    My vote would be the 45 Raptor. Seems like it would be an excellent all around cartridge. You could load light for plinking and fun, and load it up hot for dinosaurs.

What a great project. I can’t wait to see which directions this takes you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk