Hello all you wise gun nuts. Lend me some expertise.

I purchased a suppressor for my hunting rifle, and am now in the process of spec’ing out a new barrel to accept it. My question is how much of an impact barrel length will have in my case. Here’s the info:

I’m shooting a Savage 11/111 in 30-06, and will be hand loading with Barnes 150 or 168 TTSX bullets. I’ve settled on a Shilen match grade stainless barrel, and am leaning towards the 1-10 ratchet rifling. The faster twist rate is based on Barnes’ recommendation of 1-11 or faster.

Currently my barrel is 22”. My suppressor will add 7.75” length, so if I keep that length, I’ll be darn near 30”. That seems long for hiking in the woods.

I have a self imposed max range of 400 yards for hunting. I’m just not comfortable shooting much beyond that, nor does the landscape lend itself to it here.

Given all that, here’s my question: how much accuracy do I give up if I go down to a 20” barrel? Or can I go shorter and still be okay?

And also, I’d love it if you could educate me on the why as well. This is my first custom barrel, and I have been learning a ton.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk