Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 31 of 80 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser View Post
    I make my own modified cases from brass fired in my chamber. I recon it gives me a better read but I can't provide any concrete evidence of that truth. Regardless, for the price of a drill bit and a tap which I had to seek out at a machine tool supply house I can make as many modified cases as I like.
    I had thought about that, but I figured if I took on one more little project like this, I’d never get to it and my poor .30-06 would be cussing me from the safe as it gathered dust. I’ve got to knock out a few more of my little garage projects before I tackle this. I’d like to own the tap for this though, as I’d be able to do my own in the future. When I placed the order they had .223, .243, and .30-06 in stock so that’s what I started with as I reload for all three. This will get me started until I want to play with some others later this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Just finished 190 rounds of 300 blackout with 110gr vmax, for my brother. Now I can get back to my projects.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I finally got some trigger time yesterday. Spent a few hours with the chronograph and the 300 blackout as well as the Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag and special. The 300 is an 16" AR shooting suppressed yesterday. I shot a wide array of reloads, both super and subs and it cycled and fed every one perfectly. Subs are certainly a different animal when reloading, but I am having a blast with it. The Ruger is just a pleasure to shoot, this is the first time shooting my 44 special reloads in it and was gathering speed data rather than shooting groups. I was shooting at 75 yds because I was set up there for the Blackout and would have had to move to another range to get a closer target. I can do ok with the 44 mag at 75, but the special opened up pretty much. Plus, a couple of my 44 special loads were pretty lethargic according to both recoil and the chrono, lol. At any rate, was a good morning of therapy followed by cleaning 2 very dirty guns.
    "Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    I finally got some trigger time yesterday. Spent a few hours with the chronograph and the 300 blackout as well as the Ruger Super Redhawk, 44 mag and special. The 300 is an 16" AR shooting suppressed yesterday. I shot a wide array of reloads, both super and subs and it cycled and fed every one perfectly. Subs are certainly a different animal when reloading, but I am having a blast with it. The Ruger is just a pleasure to shoot, this is the first time shooting my 44 special reloads in it and was gathering speed data rather than shooting groups. I was shooting at 75 yds because I was set up there for the Blackout and would have had to move to another range to get a closer target. I can do ok with the 44 mag at 75, but the special opened up pretty much. Plus, a couple of my 44 special loads were pretty lethargic according to both recoil and the chrono, lol. At any rate, was a good morning of therapy followed by cleaning 2 very dirty guns.
    Sounds like you had a great time, and some research and development done.

Have you ever tried loading 44 special loads in 44 magnum brass? I quit loading 44 and 38 specials years ago, and just use the magnum brass for both.

That’s nice that all of your loads cycled your AR. A lot of people struggle trying to get the subs to cycle. What kind of velocities were you getting with the subs?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Sounds like you had a great time, and some research and development done.

Have you ever tried loading 44 special loads in 44 magnum brass? I quit loading 44 and 38 specials years ago, and just use the magnum brass for both.

That’s nice that all of your loads cycled your AR. A lot of people struggle trying to get the subs to cycle. What kind of velocities were you getting with the subs?

JTD
    JTD, I never thought of loading special loads into magnum brass, but that would have to help with the buildup that happens in the cylinders because of the short "special" brass. I had a little of that fouling to deal with when cleaning yesterday. As far as the Blackout, I have some subsonic loads as slow as 875 fps that still cycle good with bolt hold open on last shot. Yesterday, I was low 900's up to low 10's. This is a 16" barrel with a pistol length gas system and an adjustable gas block that I just don't have to mess with. I have found that 1680 is dirty and loud, but my fav by far is IMR 4227, it is both cleaner and oh, so quiet!!!

Title
    Premium Member
    Excellent to know about the 4227.

The main reason I quit using special brass was because of that build up. Hated it. My son and I went to the range today. When he shot the 357 with my 158 cast with red dot load, he smiled and said “that’s kicks like a 22”. I load my 44 the same way, but with unique. I also like keeping up with one kind of brass.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I made that decision when I started with a .357 almost ten years ago. Decided I’d never reload a special for a magnum revolver. I have done light loads with the longer brass but for moat of my loads I go for a heavy special/light magnum levels and shoot LSWC out of both a .357 and .44 now. I love not having to have to switch or adjust dies back and forth. Also I don’t redevelop the carbon ring that would get in the way of proper loading. If I ever get a “special” only revolver, I’ll start loading special brass but I don’t think that will happen anytime soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had a great weekend. Lots of gun time. I loaded some hunting ammo for my 8x57, 150gr Hornady sp with IMR4064. I loaded test loads for 7.5x55, 375 whelen improved, and 6.5x55. I also may made up some test rounds for 45acp, and after shooting them today, I am very impressed with 230gr Xtreme RN with 4.9gr of W231 at 1.250”, in both my Glock and 1911. I got most of my starline 45-70 brass sized this morning too.

My 13 year old and I went to the range today, for pistol day. We took 9mm, 45acp, 357, 41mag, 44mag, and 45colt. We had a blast. It’s nice to see him improving every time we go out, he’s still got a ways to go but he does well.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I had a great weekend. Lots of gun time. I loaded some hunting ammo for my 8x57, 150gr Hornady sp with IMR4064. I loaded test loads for 7.5x55, 375 whelen improved, and 6.5x55. I also may made up some test rounds for 45acp, and after shooting them today, I am very impressed with 230gr Xtreme RN with 4.9gr of W231 at 1.250”, in both my Glock and 1911. I got most of my starline 45-70 brass sized this morning too.

My 13 year old and I went to the range today, for pistol day. We took 9mm, 45acp, 357, 41mag, 44mag, and 45colt. We had a blast. It’s nice to see him improving every time we go out, he’s still got a ways to go but he does well.

JTD
    Xtreme 230gr RN and W231 is my go-to in both of my 45's for range day. I use 5.0 gr with an OAL of 1.265. With 9mm, I find the Xtreme HP does better than the RN, but not so with the 45's. That recipe is solid in both my Shield 45 and my Sig P227.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyeralan View Post
    Xtreme 230gr RN and W231 is my go-to in both of my 45's for range day. I use 5.0 gr with an OAL of 1.265. With 9mm, I find the Xtreme HP does better than the RN, but not so with the 45's. That recipe is solid in both my Shield 45 and my Sig P227.
    I tried 4.9gr of 231 with bullets loaded at 1.270” and 1.250”. The ones at 1.270” shot great, but had trouble cycling in my 1911. The 1.250” load gave it enough pressure boost that everything cycled perfectly. It sure makes for an accurate soft shooting load.

JTD