Hello all, something I’ve been pondering for awhile and just wanted to bring up here to add to the conversation. More or less checking myself to make sure I don’t come across as know-it-all.

To preface this, I spend lots of time with people who hunt but who aren’t necessarily shooters. I think everyone here know the type but I can be more descriptive later if need be. I often get tasked with helping people sight-in their rifles and get to hear lots of people give bad advise. I’m at a disadvantage because some of these people have been hunting and shooting for longer than I’ve been alive, so based on my age alone I’m often immediately discredited on topics. An example of this is the fallacy that you have to aim high on shots angled up, and low on shots angled down. I have literally had to draw out the diagram to people to show that no matter if it’s up OR down, the horizontal distance, in relation to gravity’s effect on a bullet, is always less. There are other examples of this as well....

Anyways the point to this becoming-long-winded post is this question: When a person sights in a rifle, is it only sighted-in for them, or is it does it change with every shooter behind it?

My opinion is a rifle is a mechanical device that when sighted in correctly is sighted in. However bad form, bad support, or simply bad habits make it seem that it is not sighted in when a different shooter gets behind it.

I look forward to this discussion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk