Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

357 automag - My first 100% wildcat reload

Success!!!!! My very first 100% wildcat reload, 357 automag.

Pictured is the process of taking a .308 case and converting it. First die creates the shoulder and neck. Using the same die, you then have to hacksaw the remaining length off. You then use another die that is used for reaming the neck out to accept a 38 cal bullet. Then its off to trimming for length, then all your normal reloading operations. Its a process but there is emense satisfaction on making a round all by hand.

The 357 automag is a bit harder to form brass over the 44 automag do to having a shoulder (proper headspace issue). Automag barrels are not threaded, they are jig welded so each chamber is slightly different. You are better off making 3-5 rounds and firing them and then checking the headspace on the fired cases and adjusting the dies according to get the proper headspace.. In my case, my fathers rounds had .016" of headspace which was causing ejecter marks. I had to reset all the dies so I would get a .004-.006" headspace and the marks went away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Squirrel View Post
    Success!!!!! My very first 100% wildcat reload, 357 automag.

Pictured is the process of taking a .308 case and converting it. First die creates the shoulder and neck. Using the same die, you then have to hacksaw the remaining length off. You then use another die that is used for reaming the neck out to accept a 38 cal bullet. Then its off to trimming for length, then all your normal reloading operations. Its a process but there is emense satisfaction on making a round all by hand.

The 357 automag is a bit harder to form brass over the 44 automag do to having a shoulder (proper headspace issue). Automag barrels are not threaded, they are jig welded so each chamber is slightly different. You are better off making 3-5 rounds and firing them and then checking the headspace on the fired cases and adjusting the dies according to get the proper headspace.. In my case, my fathers rounds had .016" of headspace which was causing ejecter marks. I had to reset all the dies so I would get a .004-.006" headspace and the marks went away.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
    That is super cool! Thanks for sharing this! [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    That is outstanding! You definitely need to follow up with us with a range report. What bullet are you loading, and what kind of velocity are you supposed to get out of it?

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome, Absolutely Awesome
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Kinda reminds me of the older 440CorBon.
    Wondering what weight bullets at what velocity also. Would be a great case for the Hornady XTP's. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2