Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

.45-70 Government, powder choices.

I have a new Perdoselli/Winchester 1886/71 in .45-70 Government.
    I will be loading 100+ rounds using;
    350 gr Hornady RNFP bullets and hoping to get 1,800fps to 2,000fps.

CCI LR primers
    New Starline cases.

I have on hand at least 3 lbs each, AA-2015, RL-7, IMR 4064,
    HODGDON'S VARGET.

Which of those powders would work best and for what reason if you don't mind sharing?
    For reasons unknown (except that I spent 6 weeks in a coma March and April, 2016), I just can't pick a winner.

I also have IMR 3031(1lb), IMR 4198(1lb), H-332(1lb) H-335(1lb), but it's not easy to obtain more of these currently.

Would TAC or BL-C(2) be a viable choice?

I already have too many to mention Reloading manuals.

TIA!!!
    David

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    There are tons of loads for the combo that you mentioned above. Make sure you check out all both powder and bullet makers web sites.
    The 45-70 is one of the most versatile chamberings that you can load for.
    May I please ask . . . what will this gun/load be used for. I suspect target.(?) --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve always had great results with IMR4198, I use it in 4 of my 5 45-70’s. Reloader7 and accurate2015 have been good as well, just not quite as good as IMR4198 (for me). Like sawman said, the 45-70 is very versatile and there are tons of loads for it. With the powders you’ve got, you should be able to achieve your goal easily.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Have had good luck with h4198,imr4198, re7, and Varget. All will get you in your range. Also had excellent accuracy using 3031 under the 325 grain ftx but for some reason never tried it with 350 grain bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    Hi Sawman, thanks for your reply. You know, I just want to make some good rounds. At most I would be taking our deer invading my garden for the Okra, Louisiana dude needs Okra for a great Gumbo.
    One day I might get invited to go hog shooting.
    I joined the .45-70 Group on FB hoping to learn from them, however as of 02-01-2019
    Seems like the majority of the .45-70 shooters use IMR 3031, IMR 4198, H 4198,
    Unique, 5744 and so on.
    I have already loaded up over 400 rounds of .45-70 with 350gr and 405gr Oregon Trail Lasercast using RL-7
    And this time it's for the Hornady 350gr RN.
    IF we have to participate in the
    2nd AMERICAN REVOLUTION to save our country I truly hope that I can walk again and do my part, otherwise I will have to roll along in my wheelchair.

I have at least 3lbs each of RL-7, AA-2015,
    IMR 4064.
    I've also got 8lbs each of TAC, BL-C(2) but don't see any load data for them.
    Oh well?

I am in Nazibook prison for the 5th time since March of 2018!
    I guess the moslems and their petro dollars control FB, YouTube, etc!
    I just want to do something to keep me from going stark raving mad. Looking for things that I can do that will be a distraction from everything that is falling apart all around me.
    I've bought thousands and thousands of once fired brass from Wes Sage ranging from 9mm, .44 Magnum .45ACP, .45 Colt, 5.56 Nato, 7.62 Nato, .25-06 Remington(using them to make 6.5-06),.30-06, 8mm Mauser, .45-70 Government, etc to completely reprocess and make ready for loading.
    The 5.56 is for my AR-15, the 7.62 is for my AR-10 of which I won't be able to work up the best loads, probably have to settle for something that will shoot.
    Thanks to a doctor and hospital malpractice I spent 6 weeks in a coma and now 34 months as a paraplegic. I know that I have gotten some brain injury as a result of the coma and I am trying to work my way out of it.

Anyway, I'm very frustrated.
    Thanks for your help Sawman!!!
    Happy New Year to you!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    My first 45-70,an older Marlin 1895,cut it's teeth on the Hornady 350's. I was a guide in Maine and had the origional long bbl chopped to 18 inches,then a couple years later,to 16.
    I put a ghost ring sight on it initially then a 1-4X24 Leupold with heavy duplex. The gun ended up taking quite a few animals in it's time including moose,bear,huge bodied deer,coyotes,and even several unfortunate woodchucks.
    Those 350's worked great on bear but had a hard time penetrating the bigger (800+lbs) moose. It killed great . . . just seldom an exit wound. I ended up switching to a 405gr WFNGC (hardcast). Nothing stopped those bullets. It would go thru 3 feet of moose breaking both front shoulders.
    When I got down to Fla I used it hunting the heavy brush river swamps. The 405gr shot completely thru a 300lb gnarly bore hog from 40yds away. It went thu both of his almost 3" shields breaking both front shoulders. Then thru a 4" sweet gum tree.
    My wife has a NEF Handi Rifle chambered in 45-70. For her I load the 300gr Hornady HP to 1000fps. It kills hogs and these small NW Fla deer just fine. --- SAWMAN
    Last edited by SAWMAN; 01-05-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    If I were you, I'd try out that IMR 4064, it has worked well for me in several of my loads for several calibers.

I like 4064 in .243 best.

Title
    As a student doing research for my engineering dissertation, I value you explaining how you chose the powders and loads for your new rifle. Optimizing these factors seems similar to what I've been doing with my 10,000-word dissertation. Just like you are trying out different powders to find the best one for speed and accuracy, I am trying out different research methods and sources to find the best one for my study. We try to use the right tools and "loads" so that we can do our best work!
    When it comes time to make key decisions on my dissertation's methodology and analysis, I'm looking forward to applying the strategies that you've thoughtfully and evidence-basedly chosen for your reload selection. Thanks for the ideas that will help me improve my dissertation.