Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: 280 ai

Title
    Premium Member

280 ai

What velocity’s are u guys getting on a chrono with a 280 ai what grain projectiles? Buddy is thinking of getting one and learning to load his own. First time I have ever read into a 280 it seems pretty legit round though

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a friend that has had the chambering for quite some time now. Probably 25 years or so.
    It comes pretty close to a 7mm Rem Mag. I really wish a 7WSM/284WSM had been produced however the 270WSM is pretty close also.
    My friends 280AI is in a bolt gun and is EXTREMELY accurate. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m paying attention to this thread hoping for more .280AI information. My brother and I are building a rifle for him in this caliber off a savage action. The barrel has been ordered for a month now so there is no going back now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Take a look at doing a 1:8 twist bbl of at least 24 inches. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Not a lot of good solid info on 280 ai

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Take a look at doing a 1:8 twist bbl of at least 24 inches. --- SAWMAN
    When I ordered the barrel we’re using from Northland Shooters Supply, he stocked 26” barrels but my brother wanted a 24” so we’re waiting in that order. I think we did the 1:9” though. Seemed interesting to me that the 26” barrel was so popular, but it is a bit of a niche round that seems is used more for medium-long range work than more of a hunting rifle like we’re building. My brother wants more of an all around rifle to hunt everywhere in North America. He lives in MN and deer hunts in the woods, with plans of hunting Wyoming with me in the next couple years. I think I agree with him on his choice of the 24”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I have a montana x2 280ai. I get 3000 with a 160 acubond.3150 with 140 acubond.i use h4831 sc and shoot 1 inch or under at 100.nosler has a book with 280ai cant think what number.black book.google it and work up loads.almost a 7 mag with less power.blast and recoil.

Title
    Premium Member
    Dumoulin action, 25 inch shilen barrel, saami spec. Barnes 150gr TTSX at 3050 into .515 at 200. Just finished build last December, no game, just paper so far.