Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 AR Builds

Title
    Premium Member

3 AR Builds

I have 2 AR 15 lowers I am hoping to build this winter and am struggling to decide what to build.

One of them will be a 223/5.56. Trying to decide if I go for a compact and light truck gun or if I build a heavier AR and go for accuracy.

The other AR 15 lower I'm thinking about one of the "Big Bore" calibers but I don't know much about them.

I am also intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore. Can an AR 10 be made to be as accurate as your average over the counter bolt gun? I have a wish list of bolt guns a mile long and 6.5CM is not even close to being on that list but I do find it interesting to have in an AR platform.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

3 AR Builds

For your 556 build a truck gun can be had pretty cheap vs long range where you can spends hundreds more for a quality barrel.

Title
    Premium Member
    My opinion - - -> While you can get an AR "almost" as accurate as a bolt gun,the accuracy attained will cost you a lot more money. Same bolt guns come with a great trigger and that is one of the weak points of accuracy in an AR.
    Do not allow yourself to get "tunnel vision " for the 6.5Creedmoor. It is a "fad chambering" that will soon pass to another answer to a question that has been asked and answered quite a few years ago now. How to hit targets at 1000yds can be done by quite a few chamberings nowadays.
    If you do not reload,some chamberings will be quite a bit more expensive to shoot than others. Case in point . . . 6.5C.
    Where will you shoot the extreme distances ?? For hunting or target ?? IMO for hunting,350yds is a fairly long shot. Of the hunters that I know,or have guided,only about 3% of them have ever taken an animal at some extreme,fairy tale distance. Most of the time,while hunting,the distance can be closed if the hunter wants to take the time to do so.
    Soooooooo . . . all in all,think 308Win or 223/5.56. Both are true 600yd guns and tons of critters (2 and four legged) have been killed at even greater distances with both. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    My opinion - - ->
    Do not allow yourself to get "tunnel vision " for the 6.5Creedmoor. It is a "fad chambering" that will soon pass --- SAWMAN

This is exactly why the 6.5CM is not on my "wanted" list of bolt guns.

As far as shooting distance if I did build a 6.5. I have a place close by I can shoot paper and steel out to 400, if I drive a bit farther I can stretch it to a 1000.

If I did build a 6.5 all it would be used for is a target and coyote gun but I think you have already talked me out of the 6.5 and the AR 10.

If I am hunting an area where I could potentially get that long shot Im carrying my Kimber chambered in 300 Win Mag

In perfect conditions I would shoot a deer at 700 yards. Elk or Moose I would hold myself to 500 But I also practice at that distance a lot and use a "Hunting" bullet even while practicing.

I'm impressed with the ballistics of the CM but not the energy at distances people are "claiming" to use them and besides that I don't think I would look good enough in a man bun to shoot a CM

Title
    Premium Member
    Here is my "theory" about buying the 6.5Creedmoor for those "mystical magical" 1000yd shots.
    (This is simply one opinion and I respect ALL opinions.)
    Hunting game animals at 1000yds is unethical,so that's out. Any target can be punched at 1000yds with most any "normal" chambering using a scope with the simplest of target turrets and a dope chart taped to the buttstock of your gun.
    243Win,6mmRem,25-06,270Win,7-08,7Mag,280Rem,30-06,308Win,300Win Mag,etc,etc,etc. This list goes on and on. There are great,low drag,boat tail,bullets for all these chamberings.
    Load some for that old 270Win that belonged to your grandpaw,take that old 4X Weaver off and slap on a scope with good glass and target turrets,and go punch paper or ring steel waaaaaaaaay out yonder.
    Your welcome. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jorgies View Post
    I have 2 AR 15 lowers I am hoping to build this winter and am struggling to decide what to build.

One of them will be a 223/5.56. Trying to decide if I go for a compact and light truck gun or if I build a heavier AR and go for accuracy.

The other AR 15 lower I'm thinking about one of the "Big Bore" calibers but I don't know much about them.

I am also intrigued by the 6.5 Creedmore. Can an AR 10 be made to be as accurate as your average over the counter bolt gun? I have a wish list of bolt guns a mile long and 6.5CM is not even close to being on that list but I do find it interesting to have in an AR platform.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

For “big bore” what were you looking at specifically?
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    For “big bore” what were you looking at specifically?
    Open to ideas. Will the AR 15 work for a 450 bushmaster?

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by 4jorgies View Post
    Open to ideas. Will the AR 15 work for a 450 bushmaster?

Yes lots of guys doing 450 bushmaster. May want to start a new thread about the 450 BM and ask around if you want more replies. Only experience I have with “big bore” is a 358 yeti and I’m still building that

That’s the beauty of what we can do as reloaders
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I had a 50Beowulf for some years. It was a real PITA to reload for. But that was back before a case gauge was offered for it.
    The brass has a severely rebated rim and it headspaces on the case mouth making case length,mouth taper,and type of crimp used damn critical. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Reading up on it. Now I'm thinking about 458 SOCOM.

I want to hit really hard at 5 to 150 yards