Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Chronograph advice and random thoughts...

I really don't want to fight with a chronograph needing the right light or take a chance on putting a bullet through one.

I do see the value but am stuck between Magneto Speed and a Lab Radar.

They are both expensive and the Lab Radar is only about 150 more than the Magneto Speed.

I will probably use the hell out of either one for 6 months to a year but only occasionally after that.

I want to shoot groups and test velo and you can't shoot reliable groups with the sensor hanging on the end of your barrel.

Does a ladder test only measuring MV really work?

I also really want a Dillon Progressive press and the 3 to 500 really sets that back.

Maybe I should just buy an old school light activated chrono??? And suffer through the hassle.

Really not sure what I should do here. I understand the need but not the process. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I have the lab radar, and a Dillion progressive. As well a bunch of other expensive reloading accessories.

Here is my advice.

Go with a quality turret press like the Redding T7 or the Lee Classic. Gives you all the benefits of a decent progressive but is going to do you much better for working up loads and doing a ladder test.

As far as a Chrony. In my opinion the Lab Radar is well worth the money, but with any Chrony there is some things you need to do to get the best results. With the Lab Radar you need to aim it at the target, if there’s other shooters you may need to adjust the mic sensitivity, it eats batteries, and it is the more pricey option.

I haven’t used the magneto speed but I have heard good things. I started with a conventional light base Chrony and honestly that works fine too. I like my Lab Radar better as I don’t worry about shooting it or dealing with the set up.

As far as ladder testing. Yes velocity the primary component after accuracy.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    In your opinion, could a get by with a 100$ Caldwell?

I have a habit of buying the best I can get out of the gate. I usually end up with more than I need. Trying to avoid doing that this time

Title
    Premium Member
    I just recently got the magneto speed v3 and really like it. Glad I did.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    A traditional light Chrony has been the mainstay for many years. I think you’d do just fine with it.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree with others on a Caldwell or a Shooting Chrony. Either one will work for you. A Lee Classic Turret is great for load work up. Once you have a decent load you like then you could consider a Dillon progressive to knock out quantities of it. I use the LCT and a Shooting Chrony Beta. I also have a Dillon 650, The LCT is for initial load work up and the Dillon is used to fill ammo boxes with the perfect, reliable ammunition.

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been pretty happy with my cheap Caldwell chrono. Every once in a while the sun is at the wrong angle for me to get the shades to work and I get crazy high readings (like standard 230gr 45 ACP doing 1300fps from a 3.3" barrel). You might be able to make a better shade for it on those days. Usually I can tilt the chrono to one side or the other to get the sensors shaded on those really bright days.

On low lights days you will just get an error message. Usually one sensor reads the bullet and the other does not. I have only had that happen on days it is darkly overcast or when you are at like sunset. If you get the kit with the IR lights it will fix that problem, but I am rarely shooting when it's that dark out.

80-90% of the time I have no trouble using the chrono. They are typically pretty hard to shoot, though not impossible. At $100 though you could shoot 3-5 of them before you hit the cost of a lab radar or magnetospeed. The few videos I have seen of people using the Lab Radar's it seems like they can be a little tricky to get in the right position to get a reading. With the Magneto Speed I often wonder how that affects the barrel harmonics, so now when load testing you have to choose between shooting for velocities or shooting for groups. I do both at the same time with my Caldwell and it is really easy to know if you have it lined up right to get a reading.

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree with BradyT88, I too have very little trouble with my inexpensive Caldwell chrono. I just can't justify the cost of the Lab Radar and some of my guns shoot at velocities outside of it's capabilities from what I understand. I to do not like the idea of having to choose between checking velocity and shooting groups (always seems to be my primary focus on range day) with the Magneto Speed. Well stated BradyT88!

Title
    Premium Member
    Ended up getting a Caldwell with Bluetooth. Range was stupid busy today so I did not test my rifle but did use the pistol pit to get some numbers on my 10mm.

These were loaded with a Lee Auto Disk. I will weigh each charge next time and hopefully tighten up the numbers.

Created: 11-18-2018 12:25:51 PM
    Description: Glock 10mm
    Notes 1: Longshot 8.0 gr
    Notes 2: Rimrock bullet
    Distance to Chrono (FT): 10.00
    Ballistic Coefficient: 0.200
    Bullet Weight (gr): 220.000
    Altitude (FT): 300.0
    Temp: 54 °F
    BP: 29.67 inHG
    Shots
    # FPS FT-LBS PF
    9 1245 757.32 273.90
    8 1238 748.82 272.36
    7 1159 656.30 254.98
    6 1182 682.61 260.04
    5 1200 703.56 264.00
    4 1167 665.40 256.74
    3 1194 696.54 262.68
    2 1166 664.26 256.52
    1 1244 756.10 273.68
    Average: 1199.44
    StdDev: 34.80
    Min: 1159
    Max: 1245
    Spread: 86
    True MV: 1206.27
    Shots/sec: 0.13
    Group Size (IN): 0.00

I'm pretty happy with my decision. Thanks for the input.