Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: When to trim?

Title
    Premium Member

When to trim?

I'm looking at getting a progressive. The question is what is everyone's process for resizing and trimming? Does anyone trim and then resize?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooley View Post
    I'm looking at getting a progressive. The question is what is everyone's process for resizing and trimming? Does anyone trim and then resize?
    You always trim after resizing, because the brass grows in length during the sizing process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    I size, then trim... if needed.

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s one of the reasons I have held off on doing rifle loading on a progressive. I know straight wall cases can grow too, but it’s not been as big a problem for me.

I know you can back off the dies and what not, but I find that I can load just as many rounds an hour with a good turret press. Size them all, trim, prime, throw a charge, seat then crimp.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    I dry tumble my rifle brass then apply case lube. I have an XL650 and I have station 1 setup to decap only. Station 2 has a swage it in place of the priming system for 5.56 cases. Then in station 3 I have the Dillon RT1500 trimmer setup. Station 4 is blank. Station 5 has another sizing die with the expander ball in place but decapping rod removed. That helps knock off some of the burrs. After that they go into a wet tumbler to clean out primer pockets and clean off the case lube. Then I run them through the press a second time to load them up but station 1 will be empty since they have already been sized.

It's an expensive setup but it certainly makes the most of owning a progressive press. If I had got a 1050 I could have done it all in one pass but the cases would have case lube, dirty primer pockets and possibly have burrs. So maybe this way is better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
    I dry tumble my rifle brass then apply case lube. I have an XL650 and I have station 1 setup to decap only. Station 2 has a swage it in place of the priming system for 5.56 cases. Then in station 3 I have the Dillon RT1500 trimmer setup. Station 4 is blank. Station 5 has another sizing die with the expander ball in place but decapping rod removed. That helps knock off some of the burrs. After that they go into a wet tumbler to clean out primer pockets and clean off the case lube. Then I run them through the press a second time to load them up but station 1 will be empty since they have already been sized.

It's an expensive setup but it certainly makes the most of owning a progressive press. If I had got a 1050 I could have done it all in one pass but the cases would have case lube, dirty primer pockets and possibly have burrs. So maybe this way is better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    One day I'm gonna have a 1050.... I wanted to do it this year... but higher priorities won.