Here’s an idea I’ve been tossing around. (Yes, epoxy coating/PC is far more feasible but I like to tinker)

I think anyone who has looked into it seriously realizes that is not a feasible thing to plate your own cast bullets with copper. The big boys use things like Cyanide, scary strong acids, and economy of scale to plate lead bullets.

The main hurtle for us, is that it’s not really feasible to plate copper onto lead using Copper Sulfate as sulfuric acid reacts with lead. The copper won’t stick well to the bullet as a layer of lead Sulfate forms on the outside of the slug before the copper can adhere.

Here’s my idea of getting around it that I would like to get some feedback on. Take a cast bullet and hot dip it into tin. The tin should form a barrier between the lead and the plating solution. From there plate the copper onto the bullet.

Of course you would need to size the bullet afterwards, and the plating needs to adhere well enough to allow for that.

The problem is, I can find any information on how well copper plates to tin, or how well tin would adhere to the lead. Does anyone have any experience in plating that might be able tell me how big of a fool I am?

With all my casting equipment in storage, I’m not in the position to try it. So if someone who has some experience working with acids, and wanted to try it, I’d be interested in working with them to see the results.

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.