Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Cleaning your rifle while testing a new load,

Im switching from my trusty .223 varget load to IMR 4064. Going to be getting out to the range this week and am wondering what you guys take was on running a bore snake down between groups or every so often, or should I do my testing without cleaning the rifle. 20” A2 profile barrel without the chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MCol View Post
    Im switching from my trusty .223 varget load to IMR 4064. Going to be getting out to the range this week and am wondering what you guys take was on running a bore snake down between groups or every so often, or should I do my testing without cleaning the rifle. 20” A2 profile barrel without the chrome.

I know there's guys that recommend doing a cleaning between between test groups. It makes sense to me, whether it's critical or makes a significant difference I don't know...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve cleaned between loads. I’ve cleaned in between different bullets, and I’ve cleaned after shooting all of my test loads for the day. Now I have it narrowed to, I clean if changing bullets, or if all the same bullet then clean after 3 loads (9 shots for 3 round groups or 15 shots for 5 round groups).

Title
    Premium Member
    When working on new loads, I generally shoot 2 rounds to foul a clean barrel, then run a bore snake down the pipe after every 4-5 rounds. I do this as much for consistency as anything else

Title
    Premium Member
    I got a borescope for phone. For that. But newer used to look.hell got it cause hooked to phone but never even took outta box.lol

Sent from my LGMS428 using Tapatalk