Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: H335 woes!

Title
    Premium Member

H335 woes!

So I decided to try out the often recomended H335 for a 62 gn fmj .223 load. Using Hornady's recipe starting at 21.5 and working up to 23.5 gns, my groups were awful. The lower charges where way to low with velocities at about 2400 fps, and the higher charges almost up to 2700fps. The group sizes with faster velocities were about 1.5" to 2" at 50 yds. I loaded up a few more using their 5.56 nato data, but haven't tried those yet. My rifle is an AR with a 16 inch barrel with a 1/8 twist. Using the same 62gn bullets with Benchmark, I get 1/2 inch or better groups at the same distance. I wanted to try H335 since its $5 cheaper than Benchmark per pound, and this will be mainly a plinking cartridge. My question is, are you guys using this powder bullet combo with decent groups? And does it need to be loaded hotter to get more consistent results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Macinudo; 09-16-2018 at 09:01 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use CFE for those weight bullets in a carbine. I use my H335 for a bolt gun shooting 40 grainers. Just a thought.

Title
    Administrator
    Ramshot TAC is also another great one for heavier bullets.
    We use it in our 50gr Zombie loads as well and it works great!!

Title
    Premium Member
    Agree with Wes on the Tac. Western Powders work well. I also just tried Shooters World Tactical Rifle with good results as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    https://press.hornady.com/assets/sit...-60-62gr-1.pdf

Current Hdy data lists 60-62gr projos over H335 @ 20.1min - 22.9max for a high speed of 3000'/s (probably from a 20" or 24" bbl.)
    If this is true you're already operating above recommended pressures, all other things being equal.

I used TAC for YEARS on prairie dogs - it was wonderfully accurate but I could never get my field experience to match the ballistic curves my load generated.
    Finally I wound up with a really nice LabRadar unit which convinced me I was getting 300'/s short of published data for TAC.

I switched to H335 and MV matches published data now... and the calculated trajectories I carry as field notes are finally USEFUL. Accuracy didn't change a whit. Nearly all my rifles are 8 or 9 twist
    but they have much longer barrels and are all bolt guns. H335 is the "go-to" powder for all military things 5.56. It should operate just fine in an AR.

I've never got much accuracy from FMJs in any weight but the ballistic tip Hdy and Nosler bullets in 50 and 68gr are superb over H335. So are Sierra Match Kings in 69gr - at least
    out between 300 and 550 yards which is as far as I've tried them on PDs.

Title
    Premium Member
    18" 1:8 JP barrel, 23grains H335 under a 69grain nosler BTHP is gold out to 300. That's the farthest I have taken it. My brother runs a 16" 1:9 gun and we have struggled with it out past 100yds all loads with H335 and bullets from 50-69 grain. Will probably be swapping his barrel out shortly.

Title
    Premium Member
    So, I just came back from the range. This time I used Hornady's 5.56 Nato data. Starting with 23 grains and going up to the published max of 25.4, my results were a little better than my first trip out, but still nothing to right home about. Now, the conditions for shooting were not the best, but I'm thinking H335 and Hornady 62gn FMJ's isn't the best combo. Looks like I'm sticking with Benchmark for now. I'll keep on playing with it though. If I come across some Tac, I might try that.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Macinudo View Post
    So, I just came back from the range. This time I used Hornady's 5.56 Nato data. Starting with 23 grains and going up to the published max of 25.4, my results were a little better than my first trip out, but still nothing to right home about. Now, the conditions for shooting were not the best, but I'm thinking H335 and Hornady 62gn FMJ's isn't the best combo. Looks like I'm sticking with Benchmark for now. I'll keep on playing with it though. If I come across some Tac, I might try that.

I use CCI #41 primers only with H335. My AR is a 1/9 twist 16" barrel and I've had great results with up to 65gr SGK's. That being said, my best results are with the 50gr Zmax and 55gr fmjbt (hornady) you won't see velocities close to what the published data is with a 16" barrel.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk