Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Advice on 45 ACP load

Hello all,

Still a noob at all this pistol stuff, only done a few 9mm load tests so far. So I’m seeking advice before jumping into the 45 ACP. And I know you all will have the info I need.

Here’s the relevant things to know: loading for a Glock 21. It is currently converted to 460 Rowland, so it has a compensator and heavy spring. I can go back to the factory spring though if needed. Ideally I’d have a load that could cycle the heavier spring though so I could switch between 45 and 460 at will.

I ordered 200 gr X-treme HP’s from Wes. And I have both power pistol and Ramshot Zip to choose from on the shelf. And I’m planning on using SPP brass for this as I have a whack of it.

The Lyman manual shows power pistol between 6.6 and 7.4 gn and a 1.178” OAL.

The Lee manual shows Zip between 5.8 and 6.4 gn with a min OAL of 1.23”.

Am I right to assume the shorter OAL is because Lyman is referencing a HP bullet and Lee appears to not be?

Any advice or pet loads would be appreciated. Range trips are precious few for me, so getting it right in as few trips as possible is valuable to me.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I am really interested in what the group experience is on this. I have tried standard and some hot 45acp's and none of them will function the slide properly in the 460 conversions.

Title
    Administrator
    My 460 wouldn't cycle any hot 45acp loads, and they don't recommend even shooting 45acp in the conversion.
    I loaded all sorts of 45acp and 460 Rowland rounds, and just gave up on it all together.
    Never got what I wanted and was tired of beating up on my gun unfortunately

Title
    Premium Member
    Yeah, I don’t really expect to get a 45 load that’ll cycle the 460 well. It’s such a huge pressure level difference between the two, but a boy can dream.

At this point, I’m really looking for a good recipe for my 45 with the 200 gn HPs.

Eventually I’ll load some 460 rounds with the same 200 gn pills. Those would just be play rounds though so people can shoot it without burning my paycheck for ammo. For the field I’ll probably buy buffalo bore.

Title
    Administrator
    Any 200gr Jacketed data, and with plated bullets, load from LOW to MID range of the jacketed data, and it will be just fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    Yeah, I don’t really expect to get a 45 load that’ll cycle the 460 well. It’s such a huge pressure level difference between the two, but a boy can dream.

At this point, I’m really looking for a good recipe for my 45 with the 200 gn HPs.

Eventually I’ll load some 460 rounds with the same 200 gn pills. Those would just be play rounds though so people can shoot it without burning my paycheck for ammo. For the field I’ll probably buy buffalo bore.

Title
    Premium Member
    Okay, that’s good to know. So I should stay on the bottom half of the load range then.

Any meaningful difference between the two powders? Or would you load a little with each one and see what shoots better?

Title
    Administrator
    Start in the bottom half of the range, and try both powders.
    See what your gun likes.
    Work up the loads as needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    Okay, that’s good to know. So I should stay on the bottom half of the load range then.

Any meaningful difference between the two powders? Or would you load a little with each one and see what shoots better?

Title
    Premium Member
    I really like power pistol in 45 ACP. but i load 230 gr RN

Title
    Premium Member
    Awesome, that’s one vote for power pistol. Any idea how I can scale the RN OAL’s for HP? I have one book that doesn’t have HP load data, just RN.

Title
    Premium Member
    I use Titegroup in my plinkers and Power Pistol in my SD rounds. If all you have is Power Pistol, it will work just fine for 45 ACP.