Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

9mm for hogs and black bear

I carry a beretta 92fs 9 mm with me while out in the woods. If I had to defend my self from an animal, would you guys prefer Hornady xtp critical carry or fmj reloads?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I hate to send you away from Wes but this is what I carry in my 9MM for woods carry. Plinking rounds I get from Wes. To many of the 147 gr loaded hot gets old quick

https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/9mm...n-per-500.html

Title
    Premium Member
    I would not be carrying 9mm for hogs and black bear.

Title
    Premium Member
    9mm isn't near the top of my list for woods carry by any means. However, if I had to carry one in the woods, I'd lean towards something like the Buffalo Bore "outdoorsman" load, or possibly a 147gr JHP.

My girlfriend takes her Glock 19 with 147gr JHP's along on hunts, but that's behind our rifles and my big bore handgun, so I'm not so worried about power level.

Title
    Premium Member
    You need to carry what you have...… In any pistol round, the heaviest solid bullet is recommended. In 9mm any hollow point you buy is designed for thin skinned {human} targets. To get enough penetration to take out vital organs or shut down the CNS on a bear or a cougar you need a solid bullet. The heavier and the faster the better.

Title
    I carry my Walther PPQ with 17+1 of 147gr Critical Defense..... you may find me eaten, but something is gonna have 18 holes in it....

Title
    Keep in mind when carrying a 9mm it may not be enough for bear or hogs.... I had a hog that was shot thru the shoulders and I needed to finish off. I dropped 5 9mm Hollow Point shots in a hogs head before he died (Stopped breathing).... We are talking point blank too.... dang thing was smoking when it was done. I now carry a 45 and doubt that is enough...
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    Premium Member
    Hollow points in almost any handgun are virtually useless as self defense against bear or hogs. Most of the energy is spent on impact when the bullet expands and limits penetration. This by design and makes for a great home defense round.

9mm is plenty for black bear or hogs but you have to use a solid heay bullet. There are copper options but for the cost I prefer Hard cast lead at 15 to 18 BHN.

Neither HC OR copper will expand. They spend their energy on penetration and breaking large bone.

There is also a reliable source of a fishing guide in AK taking down a brown bear using 147gr HC 9MM from Buffalo Bore. I will try to find the article and add it to this thread later.

If you are carrying HP in your 45 you will have only slightly better results. Stick to heavy solid non expanding type of bullets for woods carry.

***Edit.
    If you have/can carry larger than 9mm do it . I carry a 10mm my wife carrys the 9mm. Solid bullet rule of thumb applies to both.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 4jorgies; 09-19-2018 at 06:23 AM.

Title
    Premium Member
    https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...th-9mm-pistol/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk