Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Non-Lead Monometal .375WIN Projectiles.

So, I picked up a Win. 94 Big Bore XTR in 375 Win. Only one small problem. This is the last year for lead in CA for hunting. Does anyone know of anyone making a monometal FP projectile for lever guns? Barnes and Nosler have nothing. What are other lever gun shooters in California doing?

Lehigh, Peregrine and Cutting Edge makes solids that would work, but very pricy and made for dangerous game.

I did find...

Nosler does make a 260Gr 375 solid with FP, but again about 65 bucks for 25. That might not be bad for California deer, big and slow, I guess there is no need to expand much.

What’s your take on this?
    Last edited by Desertdoc; 09-13-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Title
    Premium Member

Non-Lead Monometal .375WIN Projectiles.

I am surprised that Barnes does not have something in their TSX line. They even make .30-30 bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    We have plenty of copper options, we have plenty of .375 projectiles.

What we don’t have is copper, flat point 375’s for lever guns.

I have found few options and they are between $1.50-$3.50 per projectile.

Oh well, you don’t buy a Ferrari then complain about gas mileage.

Title
    Premium Member
    Desertdoc - Try maker's

http://makerbullets.com/products.php?cat=3&scri=91,53

I'm going to buy some of their 35 for my 35 Rem (marlin 336) for CA big game.

Title
    Premium Member
    Im in california hunting this year and was under the impression lead was a no go already

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    Yep, lead is a no go in California. He is looking for a bullet he can use in his 375 Win, but they are spendy!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmatt View Post
    Im in california hunting this year and was under the impression lead was a no go already

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    Yep, lead is a no go in California. He is looking for a bullet he can use in his 375 Win, but they are spendy!!
    Yea he mentioned the lead free law goes into effect next year. I did some googling and founf out im hunting in the condor cinservation area so the lead free BS has been in effect for a couple years now here. Im glad i dont live in this state any more.

Title
    Administrator
    For sure!!
    More laws going in everywhere, not just there. Most are designed to mess with gun owners one way or another
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmatt View Post
    Yea he mentioned the lead free law goes into effect next year. I did some googling and founf out im hunting in the condor cinservation area so the lead free BS has been in effect for a couple years now here. Im glad i dont live in this state any more.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Sage View Post
    For sure!!
    More laws going in everywhere, not just there. Most are designed to mess with gun owners one way or another
    Ding, Ding! We have a winner. The lead ban was pushed through due to a flawed study showing a disproportiantely high levels of lead in the California Condor which is a gigantic flying buzzard. I have a buddy in the condor range and he frequently has them on his property. In fact in July I was at his ranch in the condor zone, shot a pig, and we dumped the guts out for the scavengars. WHile I was napping in the Air conditioned trailer he watched a condor on the gut pile with some turkey vultures. Point is they are around his place a lot. He's told me of watching them eat so much that they can't fly. He says they appear to be a particular type of "stupid" in the animal kingdom. They eat batteries and other junk as well.

In the end the "study" that kicked off the condor zone was found to be flawed as lead levels INCREASED after the lead ban was in place. Turns out those dumb birds were eating naturally occurring lead, paint chips, or something else. While the performance of copper is impressive at this point of their development having it forced down your throat literally is not something I am in favor of or approve of.

California, leading the US in stupidity one law at a time.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdogg21 View Post
    Ding, Ding! We have a winner. The lead ban was pushed through due to a flawed study showing a disproportiantely high levels of lead in the California Condor which is a gigantic flying buzzard. I have a buddy in the condor range and he frequently has them on his property. In fact in July I was at his ranch in the condor zone, shot a pig, and we dumped the guts out for the scavengars. WHile I was napping in the Air conditioned trailer he watched a condor on the gut pile with some turkey vultures. Point is they are around his place a lot. He's told me of watching them eat so much that they can't fly. He says they appear to be a particular type of "stupid" in the animal kingdom. They eat batteries and other junk as well.

In the end the "study" that kicked off the condor zone was found to be flawed as lead levels INCREASED after the lead ban was in place. Turns out those dumb birds were eating naturally occurring lead, paint chips, or something else. While the performance of copper is impressive at this point of their development having it forced down your throat literally is not something I am in favor of or approve of.

California, leading the US in stupidity one law at a time.
    Ive heard all about the garbage studies. We all know they were pushed through to make things more difficult than gun owners and in reality had nothing to do with the condors.