Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

To Bump or not to Bump

I read all over the place that you should bump the shoulder and the next place that I read says no to bump the shoulder and only Neck Size. I have the neck sizer die for several different calibers. I am mostly a pistol loader, so there is no need for this. What is the general feeling from you guys on the bump/no bump? The other question is how do you setup the die to only bump the shoulder and not full length size?
    Last edited by Adam Van Camp; 09-10-2018 at 11:06 AM.
    Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Premium Member
    If the brass in question is being shot from that 1 chamber neck size. If not then FL size. When that case is shot in that chamber it fire forms to that chamber. Rarely do I need to bump shoulders. One added note. When that case is fired heat & pressure expand the case to the chamber walls. But once that case cools it will retract just a bit and I think that's 1 reason why I rarely have to bump shoulders when neck sizing. And neck sizing relieves a lot of stress from the case. My opinion.
    Last edited by handcannon; 09-10-2018 at 12:33 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    From what I have read the Neck size only sounds to be the best if the brass is only going to be shot through the same gun. I understand that if it will be shot in a different riffle it would have to be Full Length sized as chamber size will be different. I am going to try the Neck Size only and see if I run into any issues.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk
    Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Premium Member
    I neck size everything for my bolt guns. If you run your rounds really hot you will need to size the body more often, but if your loads fall within normal pressure ranges you will rarely need to body size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Ya, what Jeffery said. I only bump the shoulders back once the cases become hard to chamber which can be a lot of times loaded if not loading on the War side.

Title
    Premium Member
    I always bump the shoulder, especially if it’s new to me range brass. I also don’t own any neck sizing dies, so I only FL size my .223/5.56 brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    From reading different forums, it seems like the consensus is that you only need to neck size brass for bolt guns. And full length size for AR style guns. Does this sound right to you guys? Seems like every time I read a forum, there's conflicting info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    What’s the point in tip toeing thru life, just to sneak up on death?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Loadr View Post
    From reading different forums, it seems like the consensus is that you only need to neck size brass for bolt guns. And full length size for AR style guns. Does this sound right to you guys? Seems like every time I read a forum, there's conflicting info.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    That is what I do 99% of the time. There are always exceptions to everything though. There will always be conflicting arguments to every question, because what works for me wont work best for everyone, and some may have found an even better way to do something. I grew up neck sizing my bolt gun rounds and full length sizing my autoloaders, it works great for me. I’ve never actually just “bumped a shoulder”. It’s always neck or full. There are some awful strong arguments out there for why you should bump shoulders, and those arguments hold a lot of merit, but after 30 years of loading, my system works very well for me so I just stick with it.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That is what I do 99% of the time. There are always exceptions to everything though. There will always be conflicting arguments to every question, because what works for me wont work best for everyone, and some may have found an even better way to do something. I grew up neck sizing my bolt gun rounds and full length sizing my autoloaders, it works great for me. I’ve never actually just “bumped a shoulder”. It’s always neck or full. There are some awful strong arguments out there for why you should bump shoulders, and those arguments hold a lot of merit, but after 30 years of loading, my system works very well for me so I just stick with it.

This is probably the most honest answer that I have ever seen on this topic. I kind of figure that I will FL Size all new or new to me brass for the first time and Neck only after that, until I start to have issue with the bolt not wanting to close. Then FL size the brass again.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Van Camp View Post
    This is probably the most honest answer that I have ever seen on this topic. I kind of figure that I will FL Size all new or new to me brass for the first time and Neck only after that, until I start to have issue with the bolt not wanting to close. Then FL size the brass again.
    That will definitely work.