Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting bullets

Title
    Premium Member

Casting bullets

Looking at getting into casting because... Well I want to. What melting pots do you guys use? Molds? Looking for some general pointers, tips, etc. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I used to use Lyman products for all of casting. Round balls and mini balls. I got out of black powder and haven't cast any in years.

Title
    Premium Member
    I started casting using Lee equipment. A Lee 10 lb bottom pour pot and a Lee six cavity mold. a thermometer is a must if you want to cast good bullets. I'll repeat, a thermometer is a must. Lyman and others make thermometers for casting. A box of sawdust for fluxing your pot periodically, welders gloves and a long sleeve natural fiber, like cotton shirt and safety glasses. download Glen E. Fryxell's "From Ingot to Target" That's a good start.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you. I appreciated the advice. I'm sure I will be asking more very soon.

Title
    Premium Member
    ...Once you go cast you don't go back

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Lyman bottom pour pot..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I just got one. It speeds up the process and it's less messy. It does drip some at times but nothing major. I love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by coachk12 View Post
    Lyman bottom pour pot..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I started with mostly Lee casting gear and still use alot of it.

I started borrowing my dad's 20 pound pot with a dipper. I upgraded to a 20 pound bottom pour pot. Somebody above mentioned a thermometer. Good advice. I started with an analog casting thermometer. Knowing your lead temperature helps alot in getting consistent results.

However, PID controllers can be built cheaply on eBay. A PID is basically a digital thermometer that also has a relay to turn power on and off. A probe sits in the molten lead. You set the temperature, and if the lead is too cool, it runs the heating element. Once it's up to temperature, it cuts out.

I've got molds from a variety of makers. You're going to need something to size your bullets most likely. Oh, and a micrometer to check the size before loading is very useful too.

I recommend castboolits.gunloads.com for casting info. Anything you could want to know about casting is in the "sticky" posts there.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you sir

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    I started with mostly Lee casting gear and still use alot of it.

I started borrowing my dad's 20 pound pot with a dipper. I upgraded to a 20 pound bottom pour pot. Somebody above mentioned a thermometer. Good advice. I started with an analog casting thermometer. Knowing your lead temperature helps alot in getting consistent results.

However, PID controllers can be built cheaply on eBay. A PID is basically a digital thermometer that also has a relay to turn power on and off. A probe sits in the molten lead. You set the temperature, and if the lead is too cool, it runs the heating element. Once it's up to temperature, it cuts out.

I've got molds from a variety of makers. You're going to need something to size your bullets most likely. Oh, and a micrometer to check the size before loading is very useful too.

I recommend castboolits.gunloads.com for casting info. Anything you could want to know about casting is in the "sticky" posts there.
    Bottom pour is the way to go. Definitely gonna need a sizer. I'm hoping my new sizer comes in today. It should have already been here.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Tapatalk