Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

223 OAL of 2.4080

I purchased a Hornady curved OAL gauge. One of my AR15 rifles is way out there. I get an OAL of 2.4080. And I didn't believe it. So I broke it down to just the barrel. Yeppers, the OAL is 2.4080 How in the blazzes can it be that far off??? My other rifles check out just fine.

Mark
    Every day is a good day. Some days are just better.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mburgus View Post
    I purchased a Hornady curved OAL gauge. One of my AR15 rifles is way out there. I get an OAL of 2.4080. And I didn't believe it. So I broke it down to just the barrel. Yeppers, the OAL is 2.4080 How in the blazzes can it be that far off??? My other rifles check out just fine.

Mark
    I don't know if that's out of spec or not, but my AR was long throated as well. Can't recall the exact measurement, somewhere in the 2.3ish range. Unless it's a bolt gun or a high end barrel most have room to play with. My understanding of this is so it can accept a wide variety of different bullets. The 69gr Sierra's are a pretty long bullet. But your OAL in a AR is limited by your mags. I know there are some AR mags that allow longer OALs.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Take a 223 brass and a bullet. Now open your calipers to 2.4080" Have you ever seen something anywhere close to this OAL?

Mark
    Every day is a good day. Some days are just better.

Title
    Obviously you're not going to seat anything at that OAL.
    Like I said before, I tried OALs from 2.200 up to 2.260 in my AR with negligible difference in accuracy. If it's the accuracy you're chasing a bolt gun would be the better choice or a match grade AR barrel.
    Take a 223 brass and a bullet. Now open your calipers to 2.4080" Have you ever seen something anywhere close to this OAL?

Mark
    Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member

Mark
    That's seems a ways out there. I don't think that would work with mag limitations though.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk