Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Reloading data from testing

I am only into reloading for about 1.5yrs
    Ok so I have a question after going through and doing some trials today I found that if I use range buddy and then plug the numbers into Excel I found my first pattern. But I don't know if I am looking at correctly and could use some guidance.

.223 Wylde 16" barrel in an AR platform
    50 GR Hornady Zmax
    H4198 19.5 gr's (each charge measured)
    5 round groups
    All shot with a warm to hot barrel
    Cheap bipod
    100yrds
    2.254 Ogive just touching the lands (not too good at the Hornady gauge yet)

So in the image below I see the group size drop as the OAL drops, but I don't know if this is correct? Just seems to good to be true.

I just want to know if I am on the right track or am I going wrong in my thinking.

Group 1 average.PNG

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunatic728 View Post
    I am only into reloading for about 1.5yrs
    Ok so I have a question after going through and doing some trials today I found that if I use range buddy and then plug the numbers into Excel I found my first pattern. But I don't know if I am looking at correctly and could use some guidance.

.223 Wylde 16" barrel in an AR platform
    50 GR Hornady Zmax
    H4198 19.5 gr's (each charge measured)
    5 round groups
    All shot with a warm to hot barrel
    Cheap bipod
    100yrds
    2.254 Ogive just touching the lands (not too good at the Hornady gauge yet)

So in the image below I see the group size drop as the OAL drops, but I don't know if this is correct? Just seems to good to be true.

I just want to know if I am on the right track or am I going wrong in my thinking.

Group 1 average.PNG
    Yes that could be correct. You will find that some bullet and powder combinations like some jump to the lands. Unless I'm loading for match in bolt gun I usually go by what book oal says. Some of best accuracy I've encountered has been taken straight from the books. I could be totally wrong but that's what I'm personally reading into your graph...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    You are absolutely reading it right. Your cartridge overall length will affect accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    In general if my group is vertically strung then it's my powder or charge and if it's horizontal it's a seating depth issue

Title
    Premium Member
    My savage 270 loves bullets pushed right up against the lands. Very accurate over imr 4064 and pushing a 130 grn bullet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree with what has been said above. But, would you mind telling me your thoughts on the Range Buddy. You are talking about the AP, right?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by okhawg View Post
    I agree with what has been said above. But, would you mind telling me your thoughts on the Range Buddy. You are talking about the AP, right?
    Thanks for the comments. As for range buddy I like at app. It makes easy work of figuring out MOA and how far off the point of aim you are. I'll email the picture and then save it to my reloading Excel spreadsheet this way I always have a record of the grouping. The best part the app is free for the non pro version and I haven't found any adds on it so far.