Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

7.62x39 - .310+ diameter

I searched and didn’t find anything...

So here goes... who is loading your own to
    keep the ak’s and sks’s fed? I know there are some more precise 308 diameter bolt guns in this cal, but I’m focusing on com-blok here...

I’ve been running the .310 123gn fmjs behind 28.5 of H322 and win LR primers for a plinking load. Have not had chance to chrono it yet.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am, but 8n the AR platform. I also use 123's but my best is with 24.2 of IMR 4198

Title
    Premium Member
    I really like to use H-4198 in an AK platform (Mak-90) The .310 Hornady vmax and fmj in the 123 grain weight run well and are fairly accurate. I actually tried some .308 fmj's as well and they did fine as well.
    No matter where you go... There you are.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ouvarminthunter View Post
    I searched and didn’t find anything...

So here goes... who is loading your own to
    keep the ak’s and sks’s fed? I know there are some more precise 308 diameter bolt guns in this cal, but I’m focusing on com-blok here...

I’ve been running the .310 123gn fmjs behind 28.5 of H322 and win LR primers for a plinking load. Have not had chance to chrono it yet.
    I have three different SKS rifles, a Chinese, Yugoslavian an a Russian. As far as jacketed bullets go the .310" dia. bullets have proven to shoot the most accurately in all three rifles followed by the .311" dia. 150 gr. bullets. My powders of choice for jacketed bullets are Reloader #7, AA-1680 or IMR-4198 pretty much in that order, I also have a lb. of CFE Black that I will be testing out soon.

These days I pretty much just shoot my own home cast lead bullets in 155 to 185 gr. sized to .314" gas checked an powder coated in all my SKS rifles using mainly Alliant 2400 powder. Reloader #7 will work just as well with both jacketed an cast lead loads as well as IMR or H-4895. The 4895's are a bit slower but I highly doubt you will notice and you can't over load the X 39 cartridge using the 4895 powders even with a compressed load.

'Artisan' in Lead, Brass & Powder