Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Question Load Data for 45 ACP 185 SWC-NLG

I purchased some 185 SWC-NLG hi-tek coated bullets from another company a while ago and I'm just getting 'round to reloading them. this is before I discovered Sages Reloading, sorry Wes. I'm not sure about load data. Can anyone provide me with some info on reloading this bullet. I have HP-38 and Bullseye powder.

Title
    Premium Member
    Im surprised there has been no response to this question. Did i say something wrong or has no one ever loaded this bullet?

Title
    Premium Member
    I don’t know if this will help or not. Are you loading for a semi-auto pistol? I had zero luck getting SWC bullets to feed in my Springfield or Glock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    It's an EAA Tangfolio. It's the bottom semi in the pic and as you can see, I've reloaded SWC previously. Those were 180 grain bullets from Laser Cast (laser-cast.com). I too had feed issues with these bullets, but once I put a heavier crimp on them, the feed problem went away.
    Hornady's 10th Edition Handbook says for a 185 gr. SWC Target, the COL should be 1.135". This is WAY TOO short so I don't trust the powder data in it.
    Pistols 1.jpg

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m glad you have had success with fixing the feed issues. I tried varying depth and crimps but had no luck. My load data is in the building. I plan on getting out there later today. I’ll see what I can find. Good luck.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you my friend

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    If they are based on the H&G 130 mold they will usually cycle well with about a thick thumbnail's amount of ridge sticking out of the bullet once you have found the max oal for your chamber with your bullet. I usually run 200gn LSWC that use the H&G 68 (Hensley & Gibbs model 68 molds) and using that criteria have no problem at all cycling the gun. Most of the bullet books have data on 185 LSWC and I have had good success with W231, SR4756, Trail Boss and Alliant BE-86 with the 45 ACP LSWC bullets.

Title
    Premium Member
    D568F9F5-23D8-41E7-8E78-5B50D824B1BD.png I don’t know if this helps at all but I thought I would share. I’ll check my other sources tomorrow.

Title
    Premium Member
    This is the exact load data I referenced. The COL of 1.135 is way too short and this is why I'm leary of the powder data. In the picture, the round on the left has the COL set to 1.135. The one on the right is set to 1.250. The bullet I'm loading is in the center.
    I did load 180gr SWC bullets by Laser Cast with Bullseye powder two years ago. The charges ranged from 4.2-4.6gr and the COL was 1.250.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    It’s my understanding that the C.O.A.L. Is the minimum length; meaning they can be longer.