Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Anyone reload 22 hornet and what is your combo???

Great little round/easy on powder/quiet and very accurate. I have a M77 Ruger(22 K Hornet)/H-R Handi/Savage 25. Load 40 grain ballistic tips under AA1680 and is deadly on varmints out to 150 or so.
    [I][B][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Some people never have time to do it right the first time but always find time to do it twice[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B][/I]

Title
    Premium Member
    Going to follow along on this one.

I have a Winchester model 43 (4 digit serial #) that was my fathers. It hasn't been fired in a long time.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    A friend of mine has a Ruger that really shoots good at 100yds. Im sure he's shot it further but I've only been around it at 100. I know he rolls his own. I'll get his recipe to share with y'all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I had an older Savage bolt gun that loved the light bullets 32-35 grain, shot 40 grain okay, did not like anything over 40. 1680 or Lil'Gun were the powders of choice.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got an NEF handi-Rifle. 40 gr ballistic tip over lil’gun. Can’t remember the velocity, but it’s deadly.

Title
    Premium Member
    Adding a little nostalgia to the topic. These boxes are every bit of 40+ years old.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Little known fact: It was the Chair Force (Sorry bomb droppers. We really do love you boys.) Cartridge of choice for survival rifles and survival rifle/shotgun over/under. I have seen a box of shells that said, bad memory paraphrase, “Not to be used for offensive of defensive operations against humans. For small game only.” I don’t recollect the bullet weight but they looked like Soft Points. I suppose that’s what garnered the warning label?

My reloadable cartridges bottom out at .204 Ruger. However, if I found a 22 Hornet at the right price I wouldn’t hesitate a minute picking it up. I actually considered a EABCO T/C Encore Accuracy Barrel last year, but the barrel sleeve put me off. It’s stupid but I couldn’t get past it, kinda like the S&W 69 44mag. I liked the gun overall but that sleeved barrel got to me several months after acquiring it.

Title
    One of my Favorites....

for .223 bullets in 36 & 40 gr, I like H110
    for .224 bullets in 50, 53, & 55gr, I like 2400

I use mostly Nosler and Sierra, but probably should work up something for the 50gr zombies I have.... or buy the 40gr zombies before wes gets rid of all of them again

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    One of my Favorites....

for .223 bullets in 36 & 40 gr, I like H110
    for .224 bullets in 50, 53, & 55gr, I like 2400

I use mostly Nosler and Sierra, but probably should work up something for the 50gr zombies I have.... or buy the 40gr zombies before wes gets rid of all of them again
    I tried 50gr vmaxes out of my hornet, they shot well enough, but had much better performance out of the 40gr.

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I tried 50gr vmaxes out of my hornet, they shot well enough, but had much better performance out of the 40gr.

Right, anything 40gr +/- 5gr is probably going to be BEST, IMHO