Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Comparator question

Hello all, I’m hoping to get some insights on comparators. I’m looking to improve the precision in my loading process, specifically for my rifle loads. I load mainly for my hunting rifle (30-06) and my AR in 300 BO.

I’d like to get a comparator setup to read shoulder bump and bullet seating. I don’t want the cheapest option, nor do I need benchrest level gear. I was looking at Sinclair’s setup for this, but am open to suggestions.

Anyone have any recommendations for me?

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    Any time you add a reamer you're introducing a new variable where you may already have 4-5 reamers involved .

In a perfect world you're chamber gauge would be cut with the same reamer that cut the chamber.

I once had 4 06's all at once all passed head space checks etc .
    1 was long neck to rim .
    1 was long rim to shoulder and small OD
    1 was fat bodied .
    Enough so in each that even with normal FL none would share brass .
    The 4th would share with all of the other 3 although the whole bolt closure was firm o the fat bodied 1 .
    I only have the near match chamber and the all fitting rifles left .
    Further the very tight chambered rifle requires a fairly short OAL while the fat bodied rifle would take a 3.99 OAL with less than .15 of a flat based 150 gr out to touch seated at book length it had .300+ jump . If you're shooting a mag 30 cal or less the OAL will grow much faster than you want to believe it does. AIs 7 mm and down grow just like the mags .

The best solution is a custom die fitted to your chamber. With a single paired shell holder.
    The next best is to set the barrel back and make a chamber gauge to match the "new" chamber with the finish reamer used in the barrel.

Title
    Premium Member
    Very interesting. The good news is that I only have one rifle to load for. And with it being hunting ammo, it’s more forgiving than match shooting.

I bought a nice Shilen match select custom barrel, so the tolerances are supposed to be very good. I don’t have the reamer, but I do have the case gauge I set the barrel with. And I’m starting with fire formed brass. I figured if I bump the shoulder back 0.002” that should keep things consistent and feeding well.

From there it’s about finding the lands, and setting up for load development. Planning on 150 grain Barnes TTSX over H4350. But still working out the details on that.