Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell

Model 49 Herters lubesizer.

I have received my 2nd one . It was advertised as "needing rehab with , .285 H& I and nose punch" , for $25 and freight a guy can't get hurt , an H&I is that much .

It looked classic unused in a long time. I took it apart needing some firm persuasion to get the slide bars out but most of it cleaned up white or thin rust blue .

There are 3 versions of this lubesizer .
    #1 used a .750 dia H&I of a proprietary type that can use a Seaco die more or less , something about the threads being slightly larger but compatible.

#2 Used a .750 dia H&I that was all Herters with a stop/seal lip on top and used the set screw .

#3 used the Lyman , RCBS H & I dies .
    (Numbered by me not necessarily in correct order)
    One or more used a 5/16 dia nose punch with a stem that looked more like a form (double headed) nail with a deep wide groove for the thumb screw .

The first one I bought was of the #3 design . It has the 1/4" Lyman, RCBS type nose punch and the "standard" H&I . The new one has the the 5/16 nose punch and the .750 dia H&I .

It has a brass bushing that unfortunately came out with the H&I . I didn't note the lube hole orientation in the bushing when I knocked it out . It seems obvious that they should be on the reservoir side but I didn't get it to squirt yet so I can't verify that .

11392.jpeg11393.jpeg

Instead of having the T shaped ejector anvil it appears that it has caliber semi specific base rods that actually pass into the die rather than stopping on it . I haven't yet confirmed if this is a standard design or an owner alteration.

A 5/16 bolt with the head dressed flat and the points rounded off should be good to go as a replacement part . A flat nose punch should take care of the nose needs and be easy enough form out with a drill press .

I think if the H&I bushing were steel it could be it could be locked in with a nut.
    Another excuse to own a lathe I guess

Title
    Premium Member
    That’s a smoking deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk