Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Title
    Premium Member

Any .460 Rowland Reloaders Here?

Hi folks,

Seriously considering purchasing a .460 Rowland conversion kit for my Springfield Range Officer Operator. Due to the absurd cost of factory-loaded ammo, I'll be reloading for it should I choose to move forward with the conversion.

Does anyone have any special recipes that work well for them?

Thanks,

-Breck
    "Freedom is something that dies unless it is used" - Hunter S. Thompson

Title
    Premium Member
    I load for mine, love shooting it. Just got to make sure you keep the brass separated from your .45 acp.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got my G21 converted over, and it’s a great cartridge. I’d highly recommend it if you want a real powerhouse.

As for loading for it, I’m not quite there yet. I have all the parts, just haven’t gotten to it yet. I’ll be working up a load featuring bullets from Wes of course. I also want a separate toolhead for my 550 and separate dies as well.

One thing I’ve learned on these, at that pressure level it’s best not to risk an overcharge. I’ll be trickling my loads by hand, just using the Dillon to speed things along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I was kind of interested in one. Then I found out about the 990 Rowland and think I may try that first.

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t shot the 960 yet, but it does look interesting for sure. Eventually, I’d like to build a new slide for my G17 set up for the 960. But I started with the 460 as a backwoods gun.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mambochicken View Post
    I haven’t shot the 960 yet, but it does look interesting for sure. Eventually, I’d like to build a new slide for my G17 set up for the 960. But I started with the 460 as a backwoods gun.

Oh, it's the 960.....for some reason my brain was thinking 990. Makes more sense. It looked interesting. All you need to do is to ream it I believe....well, and get new brass.

Title
    Premium Member
    Hey all, wanted to run something by you before I start putting test loads together. I was looking at recipes, but something seems strange. I found two loads with XTP bullets, and adjusted out the .005” length difference between those and the X-treme bullets I’ll be using to keep case volume the same.

One calls for 10.8-12.1 grain of power pistol at 1.253” OAL. The other shows 12.2-12.6 gn of power pistol at 1.245” OAL.

It was concerning that the shorter round had the higher charge. Do those seem reasonable?

I’m thinking of starting with 11 gn at 1.25” and moving up in .1 gn increments. Does that sound about right?

Title
    Premium Member
    Hey all, wanted to run something by you before I start putting test loads together. I was looking at recipes, but something seems strange. I found two loads with XTP bullets, and adjusted out the .005” length difference between those and the X-treme bullets I’ll be using to keep case volume the same.

One calls for 10.8-12.1 grain of power pistol at 1.253” OAL. The other shows 12.2-12.6 gn of power pistol at 1.245” OAL.

It was concerning that the shorter round had the higher charge. Do those seem reasonable?

I’m thinking of starting with 11 gn at 1.25” and moving up in .1 gn increments. Does that sound about right?

I'd move up in 0.2 gr increments unless you have a really nice scale. Most scales are only good for +/-0.1 gr so when you weigh out say 11.2 gr it could potentially be 11.1, 11.2 or 11.3 even. 0.2 gr increments will save you bullets for testing and should give you a noticeable difference between load points. After you find something you like you can try 0.1 gr up or down of it for better results, but it may not make that much of a difference in handguns.

I have some 240 gr Sierra JHP's that are the same length as the 230 gr XTP's. I am going to load them up with power pistol from 12.1 to 12.5 gr. I think I shaved off a tenth of a grain to compensate for the 10 gr heavier bullet and the fact that this is a pretty hot round and I don't want to get too risky. I haven't got around to loading them up yet though so no results.

Title
    Premium Member
    Good point Brady. I do have a nice digital scale, but .2 gn should get me in the ballpark quicker. And it’ll burn a lot less supplies in the process.

Title
    Premium Member
    Good point Brady. I do have a nice digital scale, but .2 gn should get me in the ballpark quicker. And it’ll burn a lot less supplies in the process.
    When I say nice I'm talking like scientific lab quality. They will measure out to the hundredth of a grain rather than just tenths. I have the RCBS Chargemaster which is pretty good, but not that good. Manual still says +/- 0.1 grains. There are some manual beam scales out there that can get a little more precise with measurements on the long side of the beam. Like this Redding for example.