Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: CZ Scorpion

Title
    Premium Member

CZ Scorpion

Saw one today at the local hardware store. Heavy gun, could probably pound nails with it. Looked well made. I like it, not sure what I would do with it. I was told it is legal with an arm brace that looks like a folding stock? Can anyone explain it to me in easy to understand language why it is not considered a short barreled rifle and need paperwork?

Title
    Premium Member
    Under 16” barrel and no buttstock, classifies it as a pistol. The arm brace is meant to strap on to your fore arm, not shouldering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Easy answer..... The ATF said the arm brace is not designed and intended to be a shoulder stock. It is meant to brace the arm for another point of contact and stability firing as a pistol. There was a time when they said shouldering it redesigned it and therefore requires papers, but now they released another letter saying the misuse of a device does not constitute redesign. So basically, they don't like shouldering a pistol brace but aren't currently doing anything about it.

I have a pistol brace 300blk that is my camping gun. Biggest threat by me is over zealous rednecks and coyotes. I use the brace because I don't have to send papers for interstate transportation of a sbr.

Bottom line.... get one, have fun, and don't be a tool publishing videos of you doing your thing.
    The below link is a simple google search of "arm brace letter". It has the original opinion and updated letters giving their current opinion. Their opinion is always subject to change, so make up your own mind on arm braces and be smart.

https://www.google.com/search?q=arm+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a Scorpion carbine and really enjoy it. Just watched a video of a guy that has put 10K rounds his Scorpion and had no issues. CZ makes a solid product. Have seen the Scorpion listed in the top 5 suppressor hosts by several people because it doesn't have issues.

Title
    Premium Member
    Does anyone on here have one? They look like a good time to shoot.

Title
    Premium Member

CZ Scorpion

I got the Scorpion pistol when it first came out. SBRd it, did a few upgrades to it to shoot in PCC in USPSA and it is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I just got a CZ Scorpion and love it after only one range trip. Good solid gun with more and more mods being added every month. Newest I've seen is an adapter to use the Sig folding stocks on the back end. That's my plans after I get the SBR stamp back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I am still confused on the stock/ arm brace/ SBR thing. I hear an arm brace is legal but if it is an SBR it needs a tax stamp. What exactly is the difference between a legal brace that doesnt need paperwork and a stock that turns the pistol into an SBR and requires the tax stamp? I am about ready to just buy the carbine with a folding stock already installed instead of the pistol.

Title
    Premium Member
    A legal arm brace is a device designed to attach or support off the arm and not the shoulder. In order to be completely legal, the manufacturer had to send in the device to the ATF for a determination. A stock is designed to be supported off the shoulder. Gearhead works tailhook, sb tactical, and the shockwave blade are the 3 most popular styles of braces. If a firearm has a barrel less than 16" and a brace it is still considered a pistol. If a firearm has a barrel less than 16" and a stock it is a SBR and needs the tax stamp.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks Joe. I read the ATF letter and the one I read did not specify which attachments were ATF approved. I want to have fun and stay 100% legal so I was trying to get the correct answers before I spent my money.