Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Thread: AR Pistols

Title
    Premium Member

AR Pistols

I have a AR pistol 5.56, 5 1/2 inch barrel 1-8 twist, wanting to get info on which bullet weight & powder to get best stabilization at fifty yards and out. I have different powders for pistol and rifle, but need info on both. For example, I've used Trail Boss for 55gr, but keyholes at about 25ft feet, but won't cycle the action. My regular loads won't stabilize past about 50ft. Just so everyone knows this gun is just for plinking, no hunting, having fun. I'm thinking heavier bullet, maybe 62 to 75 gr might work?

Thanks in advance for the help

Title
    That is a really short barrel for that gun

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    [COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Get into reloading to save money they said....[/FONT][/COLOR] :p:p:p:p ....

Title
    Premium Member
    That is a short barrel and may have to load up several wieghts and see which is going to work. My AR pistols have 9 1/4 barrels and do well with 55gr and BLC-2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold1957 View Post
    I have a AR pistol 5.56, 5 1/2 inch barrel 1-8 twist, wanting to get info on which bullet weight & powder to get best stabilization at fifty yards and out. I have different powders for pistol and rifle, but need info on both. For example, I've used Trail Boss for 55gr, but keyholes at about 25ft feet, but won't cycle the action. My regular loads won't stabilize past about 50ft. Just so everyone knows this gun is just for plinking, no hunting, having fun. I'm thinking heavier bullet, maybe 62 to 75 gr might work?

Thanks in advance for the help
    That’s crazy short. Maybe try different ogive bullets in supersonic loads and maybe you’ll have luck but subs I don’t think will stabilize with that short of length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    I use 55gr Hornady FMJ in my 10.5 inch pistol. Same load as I use in my rifle. No problem with making round holes at 50 yards.