Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Let's talk wheel guns.

I'm going to get a 357 magnum, but I've got minimal knowledge of revolvers. I'm looking at a gp100, a 686+, and a king cobra. I don't care about the price difference, I'm interested in quality. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m a huge proponent of Ruger revolvers. Love ‘em. The gp100’s are built like tanks, and are (at least mine) is very accurate. The trigger could be better but it’s good enough for me. The Smith & Wesson’s I have handled and shot, are very well built, more refined, and a better fit and finish than the Rugers, better triggers (that also could stand a little touching up) and very accurate as well. I don’t have much to say about colt. I wouldn’t buy one unless it was and older model from many years ago. To me colt is not what colt used to be, and aren’t worth the price tag. So in my opinion the Ruger is best bang for the buck, Smith is kinda “best overall”, and colt is buy me if you just need to own something that says colt on it.

This is just one mans opinion, if I stepped on any toes I do apologize.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I agree . I have a GP100. I did have a trigger job done on it shortly after I bought it. I have had it for 20 years and have shot countless rounds through it from 38 Special through the hottest 357 Mags. It shoot great. A friend has a S&W 357 that I am not a fan of. It just does not feel right to me. He shoots it like a champion. To each their own. My GP100 is the six inch barrel so it helps mitigate the recoil of heavy 357 Mag loads..

Currently reloading for .380 ACP, 9MM,327 Federal Mag, 38 Special, .357 Mag, 40 S&W, 44 Mag, 45 ACP, .458 Socom, .223 Remington, 22-250,7MM Remington Mag, 30-06 and 340 Weatherby Mag, 50 Beowolf

Title
    Ruger fan here as well...GP100 .357, GP100 Match Champion 10mm, and Ruger Redhawk .44 Mag, all with 4" barrels. All shoot great and I love the fact that they're all super strong and can handle pretty much the stoutest loads safely.

Title
    Premium Member
    I don’t come with a ton of experience on different brands, but I will admit to loving Ruger revolvers. I had a 3” SP101 that I bough for my 21st and put over 1500 rounds through. I traded out for a 4” GP100 and am glad I did. The little SP101 was a bit weird for my hands ergonomically. The GP100 is much better. Personally, I want a 3” GP100 someday but I think the 4” is the Jack-of-all-trades in the .357. I’ve shot a few Smiths and the trigger is better but with enough rounds through it you can get quite good with the GP100.

I wish I would have have bought my Redhawk in the 4.2” barrel as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I want to do a picture too. I feel left out.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought a brand new Ruger Blackhawk in 44 Mag when I was a teenager yet. I love the 44 and somewhere along the way I was enticed to sell that gun. I have always wanted a Redhawk and I bought one a few years ago and I love it a lot. It has changed my white tail hunting significantly and I don't see me ever carrying anything else in PA in my lifetime. This thing shoots amazing and I probably am a little too confident with it, lol.
    20180130_200610_resized.jpg

"Long range shooting, It's like golf, but for men"

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I want to do a picture too. I feel left out.

JTD
    As you should! All the cool kids are doing it!

I love seeing all these panel grips on these GP’s! Mine came with the rubber finger-grooved grip and I quickly removed it. Just never was a fan of them! I sure wish I had held out for a blued GP100!

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    As you should! All the cool kids are doing it!

I love seeing all these panel grips on these GP’s! Mine came with the rubber finger-grooved grip and I quickly removed it. Just never was a fan of them! I sure wish I had held out for a blued GP100!

I love the look of the panel grips. That’s what drew me to this pistol so many years ago. They are a very comfortable grip too.

JTD

Title
    Heading out to a show tomorrow with a few $s in my pocket. Would really like to acquire my first revolver and have a picture to add to this thread. Interesting opinions from all of you as Ruger had been #3 on the list behind Colt as far as the brands under consideration.