Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Full Length Sizing vs. Neck Sizing

OK...just picked up a set of Redding Premium Deluxe dies in 6.5CM, nice dies for the money BTW. Also picked up fired Federal brass from SRS. Need to process this stuff and have a few questions.

If I’m not mistaken, you only neck size when your brass is only going to be fired through one particular rifle...correct?

Since this is fired brass, I need to full length size it to get it back to SAAMI specs...correct?

After I get it back to SAAMI spec and fire it, it’ll be fire formed to my rifle chamber and I should only neck size after that...correct?

Trimming...should I trim short/long or does that matter? If it does, please explain why. I’m a NOOB! Yes, I have a case gauge.

I think that’s all the questions I have for this round right now.

THANKS!

OH YEAH...I plan to hunt with this rifle as well as shoot distance. Are the 147 ELDM’s OK to hunt with or should I find another bullet?

Thanks again!

ANNEALING...do I need to anneal? If so, how often?

Title
    Premium Member
    If the fired cases chamber in your rifle you can get by only neck sizing. If the cases need to be trimmed, trim to recommended length. A little shorter won't hurt anything so long as all are the same if you are crimping using seating die. Some times you will have to set the shoulder back when you neck size, when your neck sized cases do not chamber properly then you have to bump the shoulder back.

Title
    Premium Member
    Neck size if shooting in the same rifle and trim to spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Administrator
    FL size the range brass as it was not fired in your gun.
    From there on out, you can neck size only
    I trim off .010 from Factory max length, but that is just me
    Annealing every 2-3 firings

Title
    Premium Member
    You are definitely on the right track. Full length size the first time, then neck size after it is fire formed to your chamber. You will eventually need to full length size, or bump the shoulder. If you shoot light or medium loads, then you will not have to full length size as often. If you are pounding your brass with heavy or high pressure loads you will have to full length size more often. Some people full length size all of there hunting ammo, every time,so there will never be a chance of one their rounds not chambering. As far as match bullets. I’ve heard of quite a few people using the eldm for game, I have personally seen mixed results from it. I always stay clear of match bullets for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk