Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Any 6.5PRC Reloaders . . ??

Just recently got a Browning chambered in 6.5PRC. Am wondering if anyone here has any expierance shooting and/or reloading for this chambering.
    I plan to reload for this gun ONLY.
    Having a somewhat hard time finding brass. Got dies and the rest coming.
    Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ---- SAWMAN

Similar Threads:
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I’m debating between 6.5PRC and 270WSM for when I finally decide to swap out the barrel on my 308. I already have some brass and dies for 270WSM, so I’m leaning more strongly that way. But I really like what I’ve seen about 6.5PRC.

I’d be interested in hearing how it does for you.

Title
    Premium Member
    Have two friends that shoot the WSM's. One,the 270 and the other the 7.
    The 270WSM comes fairly close to a 7mm Wby Mag but of course in a short action. I never could figure out why the WSM / WSSM's never got better press. To me they are all great in a bolt gun or single shot.
    Some are definately better than others. On the good end . . the 270. On the bad end . . the 243.
    The 270 and 7mm are both great choices for long range. Of those two,I would pick the 270 for its sectional density. --- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member

Any 6.5PRC Reloaders . . ??

Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Have two friends that shoot the WSM's. One,the 270 and the other the 7.
    The 270WSM comes fairly close to a 7mm Wby Mag but of course in a short action. I never could figure out why the WSM / WSSM's never got better press. To me they are all great in a bolt gun or single shot.
    Some are definately better than others. On the good end . . the 270. On the bad end . . the 243.
    The 270 and 7mm are both great choices for long range. Of those two,I would pick the 270 for its sectional density. --- SAWMAN
    I could easily take this far into a digression but I agree with you. The WSSM’s never made a ton of sense to me, but the WSM’s did. I could see a use for most of the short mags. I’m biased against the .270’s of any make but like that the WSM in both .27” and .30” seem to still be holding on nicely. Pity the .325 is fading. Saw that as an extremely useful western hunting round but I think it was doomed when they made it a .32 and not a .33.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    The PPC guys pretty much proved that a short powder column is best. The example that I always give is the 308Win and .30-'06 Springfield. Another is the 222Rem vs the 223Rem. Between the 308 and 222 probably more matches were won than any other chamberings. That is . . . until the PPC's and the XXXBR chamberings came to be.
    You are right about the 325 vs 338. I mean . . WTF were they thinking ??? IMO the short fats are great if a little thought to the hunter and handloader would enter the process.
    Nowadays seems everybody wants something that they can stuff into a AR . . ? . . and make function properly. Not me. A 223Rem works for me. That's it. Not even a 5.56X45. And a Wylde - -> LAUGHABLE!! However . . I am glad that we have so many choices. ---- SAWMAN

XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I bought into the short mags when they first came out. I rushed out and got a Winchester M70 classic in 300 WSM. It shot ok, kicked like a mule, and my specimen had an oval chamber. I ended up selling it for about 1/4 of what it was worth, and was done with the short mags after that.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    To me,one of the great longer range deer and coyote chamberings is the 270WSM.
    There are some great bullets available nowadays in both light weight and heavy. It thumps you and burns powder . . BUT . . what tha heck . . live a little. It's fast,accurate,and above all - - -> an "interesting" chambering.
    A nice bolt gun with a 26" bbl would be to my liking.
    IMO the best WSM/WSSM offering out there. ---- SAWMAN