Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 75 of 80 FirstFirst ... 25657374757677 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member
    Well I do not post much but was busy casting ZInc bullets for my 38/357 - 9mm - 300 BO - 30-06. Went through about 50 lbs of zinc. I have been casting and shooting Zinc bullets about 4 years now. They are working great. Mostly for target shooting.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyt2 View Post
    Well I do not post much but was busy casting ZInc bullets for my 38/357 - 9mm - 300 BO - 30-06. Went through about 50 lbs of zinc. I have been casting and shooting Zinc bullets about 4 years now. They are working great. Mostly for target shooting.
    What weight zinc bullets do you use. Are the lighter weight for their size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I haven’t been able to make it to the bench much this summer. I just sporadically sit down here or there whenever I get a few extra minutes. I don’t even remember what I posted as the last thing I’ve done. Let me check. Ah yes, I annealed my 32 Winchester special range brass that I’ve been collecting. I got the Hornady brass sized and trimmed and it’s ready to load, and now I’m halfway through the WW brass. When I’m done with it I’ll move on to the RP. I’m leaving the FC and misc brass as just deprimed and clean, to save for later, I’ve got enough of the other headstamps.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    Went back did a bunch of measuring after neck sizing in a 6.5-257 AI die with a the .257 expander in it . I took all 19 survivors down to a uniform 2.485 . I was surprised to see 10 so long and only 2 that didn't even get a kiss . I'm glad I wasn't shooting a full bore 4350 load at 3200 fps MV...... It's good to finally have a place to work from that might do what I promised Dad .
    Man, I’m glad you are getting it all to come together. Sounds like you are getting close to your goal.

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    I loaded 19 more with the IMR 4831 , there's only about 1.5 lbs left but the change over to H4831 should be painless , 41.0-41.9 in .3 steps if I see "the pattern" I'll go on up next time from 41.8-42.7 in .3 steps .

Title
    Premium Member
    With the bigger cases, a pound and a half of powder gets gobbled up pretty quickly

Title
    Premium Member
    I have been casting and shooting Zinc bullets for a little over 3 years now. They are 60% lighter (147gn lead = 90 gn Zinc) (180gn lead = 113gn Zinc).

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyt2 View Post
    I have been casting and shooting Zinc bullets for a little over 3 years now. They are 60% lighter (147gn lead = 90 gn Zinc) (180gn lead = 113gn Zinc).
    That’s pretty cool. So my next question, excuse my ignorance, do you load the 180gr (113gr) bullet with 180gr data because of its size and length, or 115gr data because of weight?

Title
    110 miles north of Texarkana in the green hell
    It's tricky. It's the same as the deal with the Barnes X and GMX etc . You kind of have to start with the fastest powder that will give a full or near full case for a bullet weight in-between and sort out the bearing length .......as I understand what I've read about it. So in the case of the 180/113 in a 308/06' where it's one of the bore ride spritzers , you use something like 4350 start looking for a 165 as a maximum load and work from there . If you have something more like the 309291 or 299 that requires deeper seating you'll want to start with data for a 130-145 and the bottom 1 or 2 powders.

The zinc has lower friction than copper but doesn't move , as in engraving, as easily as lead or copper.

Using the light weight data can over pressure because of case space and initial movement and the dimension data might not reach pressure at all .

When in doubt with 30 cal and up fill it up to the bottom of the neck with 4831 and see what happens. It was designed and used for both the Orclon (sp) and later bottle necked 20 mm cannon .

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter View Post
    It's tricky. It's the same as the deal with the Barnes X and GMX etc . You kind of have to start with the fastest powder that will give a full or near full case for a bullet weight in-between and sort out the bearing length .......as I understand what I've read about it. So in the case of the 180/113 in a 308/06' where it's one of the bore ride spritzers , you use something like 4350 start looking for a 165 as a maximum load and work from there . If you have something more like the 309291 or 299 that requires deeper seating you'll want to start with data for a 130-145 and the bottom 1 or 2 powders.

The zinc has lower friction than copper but doesn't move , as in engraving, as easily as lead or copper.

Using the light weight data can over pressure because of case space and initial movement and the dimension data might not reach pressure at all .

When in doubt with 30 cal and up fill it up to the bottom of the neck with 4831 and see what happens. It was designed and used for both the Orclon (sp) and later bottle necked 20 mm cannon .
    That makes sense to me. What you saying is exactly where my mind was taking me with it.