Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 80 1231151 ... LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Today at the Bench.....

I feel like every reloading page/forum needs a post like this. They generally go over well. If this one doesn't so be it, it'll be lost to the depths as new posts push it lower in the list.

This is a good way to keep projects documented and for new people to see all the steps and the different methods/tools/techniques we all use to get our loaded rounds to completion. Pictures are always welcome!

SOOOOOOOO..... what did you do today at the bench?

Similar Threads:

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ll start with mine. After testing these loads last week, I finalized my .338-06 loads for now. Loaded up the last 20 in the box.

After that I pulled some 7mm-08 that I’ve loaded for a friend. They concerned me as they were heavily compressed and I decided to go a different route and rather than use H4350 with these 139gr GMX, I opted for Varget. The Varget loads shot well so I think we’re sticking with that route instead of the H4350. Dumped some .380 brass in the tumbler and started supper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive been spending a lot of time at the bench in the last month. I’ll start with what I’ve done today, and what made me get to this point.

On the left ( 1st 3 rows) is 6.5x55 that I’m testing in a m96 Swedish Mauser with a 16” barrel. 125gr partitions, .020” off the lands, pushed by RL19. With the initial test the best group was 1.27” with the load I started with, so this go around I am going with a few loads under that initial load.

Rows 4,5,and 6 are 280 ackley with Hornady 162gr btsp .020” off the lands, pushed by IMR7828. Initial testing with this combo was very similar to the 6.5. My first load was .875”, so I am trying a couple loads beneath that one, and that first sub moa load.

Rows 7 and 8 are 9.3x62 with 270gr Speer SP, loaded to mag length, pushed by RL15. I had a great load with this combo before, at 57.5gr, these are 58.0 and 58.5gr, just to see what happens.

Rows 9 and 10 are 30-06 with 180gr Sierra SP with .300” of bullet in the case neck, pushed by RL22. Initial testing showed 60.4gr to be the most accurate with a 5shot 1.1” group. I loaded the same 60.4gr load with the first load .005” deeper seating depth, and the second load .010” deeper than the initial. Trying to see if I could tighten the group up a little.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Ive also been working on 6.5x55 in a cz 550 with Sierra 140gr Spbt and .RL 22, 375 when improved with Speer 270gr spbt and RL15, 6.5x55 in a baikal combo gun, with 156gr prvi RN and H1000, 7.5x55 in a k31 with 180gr nosler ballistic tip and IMR4350, and 223remington in a rem700 all with 55gr gold dots and RL12. Ive found great loads for all of these and have loaded them up again to chronograph and make sure the accuracy is repeatable.

I’m still working on some loads for my 6.5-284 with 140gr gold dots, and my sons 7.62x54R with 150gr Speer SP. nothing conclusive on these two yet.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I hope some others jump in. I think this is a great thread!!

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Oh dang. Forgot to mention this one. Ruger M77 MKII, 308 Winchester. Initial load was 44.5gr varget with 150gr partition, loaded to book length 2.800”. This load shot 1.45”. I loaded the same load, but with the bullet .020” off the lands, and shot a sub .5” group. It doesn’t always happen like this, but it definitely goes to show how important seating depth is sometimes.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I got some time at the bench today and loaded a new set of test rounds for my buddy’s 7mm-08. Using hornady once fired cases, 139gr GMX and five different charges of Varget. I loaded six for each charge weight so he can shoot two separate 3-shot groups. We tested these last week for pressure signs and they all seemed safe. I only loaded one per weight then and the group with all the different charges stayed fairly uniform for my friends shooting. It’ll be good to see how this load comes together.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    Ive been spending a lot of time at the bench in the last month. I’ll start with what I’ve done today, and what made me get to this point.

On the left ( 1st 3 rows) is 6.5x55 that I’m testing in a m96 Swedish Mauser with a 16” barrel. 125gr partitions, .020” off the lands, pushed by RL19. With the initial test the best group was 1.27” with the load I started with, so this go around I am going with a few loads under that initial load.

Rows 4,5,and 6 are 280 ackley with Hornady 162gr btsp .020” off the lands, pushed by IMR7828. Initial testing with this combo was very similar to the 6.5. My first load was .875”, so I am trying a couple loads beneath that one, and that first sub moa load.

Rows 7 and 8 are 9.3x62 with 270gr Speer SP, loaded to mag length, pushed by RL15. I had a great load with this combo before, at 57.5gr, these are 58.0 and 58.5gr, just to see what happens.

Rows 9 and 10 are 30-06 with 180gr Sierra SP with .300” of bullet in the case neck, pushed by RL22. Initial testing showed 60.4gr to be the most accurate with a 5shot 1.1” group. I loaded the same 60.4gr load with the first load .005” deeper seating depth, and the second load .010” deeper than the initial. Trying to see if I could tighten the group up a little.

JTD
    Lots of variety there in your loading JTD! Report back when you test them!

Title
    Premium Member
    Today I loaded 2 loads with IMR4350 and Speer 150gr sp .311, for the mosin, 7.62x54R. I also loaded two loads for my 45-70 enfield, one with IMR3031 and one with IMR4198. Both loads are with 300gr nosler ballistic tips loaded .020” off the lands.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbotto View Post
    Lots of variety there in your loading JTD! Report back when you test them!

I’m playing catch up from the last 15 years. Ive been pulling guns out of the safe that I haven’t touched in years.

JTD