Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Problem with LC 7.62 brass

I've racked my head for so long on this that I have finally came here for help. I have a complete from Aero Precision
    AR10 that I use for long range matches. I was using exclusively LC 7.62 brass with matching year. It worked great! I decided to buy a Wilson Combat Super Sniper barrel and adjustable gas block. If I run it suppressed then I can get about 10 rounds before it sticks the case and rips the rim off. Unsuppressed I can get about 5.

No amount of adjusting the gas block helps. I've noticed that the case is clean but the shoulder and neck is dirty. I tried turning the necks but I had the same results. I tried contacting WC about chamber specs because I was wondering if it was just a tight chamber but they wouldn't help me.

I had some Winchester brass and tried it and it would eject it with no problems. I know LC brass is thicker than commercial brass so I'm leaning towards a tight chamber. I have already switched to a heavy rifle buffer trying to slow the bolt down and it helped but the problem still persists.

I know where the brass came from and it was not shot in a MG. I'm also using the Lee dies and I'm wondering if maybe RCBS dies would bump the shoulder back a little bit more and if that would help. I'd hate to have to shelf all of this brass and switch to commercial brass.

This problem has become a money pit and local gunsmiths are throwing out ideas but no real solutions.

Similar Threads:
    I reload to save money. Hmmm.. that didn't work out quite as well as I planned.

Title
    Premium Member
    I had problems with lee dies and proper sizing for rifle brass (too big for chambers). I now only use lee dies for pistol reloading (straight wall). I do use the lee crimp dies on everything since I like to crimp in a separate stage and they seem to work fine. Try better quality dies.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Rider View Post
    Try better quality dies.
    RCBS or Lyman? In your opinion.

Title
    Premium Member
    I like forester dies for 300 blackout and have used RCBS and Redding with success for other calibers. Maybe Wes will chime in with his recommendations, since his processed brass seems to work in everything I shoot.

One question before you start buying new dies. What press are you using?

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion Rider View Post

One question before you start buying new dies. What press are you using?
    I have a Lee single stage, RCBS Rock chucker and a Hornady LNL AP.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a couple of the Hornady lnl presses and use them for all my reloading, but have heard of people having certain problems with progressive presses when full length resizing. Have you done the 308 reloading on the same press? If so maybe try another press. If that’s out the window then it’s about the dies. I just checked what 308 dies I have been using and they are the Redding premium die set and a lee crimp die. Not cheap, but they give more precise bullet seating and have given me good sizing every time. I use a Lyman case gauge block set when checking my loaded ammo since they are cut to minimum sammi specs. If they fit they chamber for me.
    Good luck