I guided in Maine for 20 years or so after I retired from the military. This was back in the day when there were not to many of the high(er) tech bullets around.
My "sports" killed many black bear using the 300Savage,30-30Win,and even the 243Win,at the closer ranges. I had several sports kill the bigger Maine deer at 200yds with the 300Savage. Several moose were taken with the 300Savage also at the closer (called) ranges.
For your application I suggest using a jacketed heavy round nose or a fairly heavy solid copper. Even a NosPart would be good.
Tracking wounded bear through a alder marsh or a spruce/fire thicket is no fun. If it were a daylight track I used a Marlin 1895 chopped to 16 inches and the LOP reduced to 13.0 inches. This gun had a ghost ring rear and fiber optic front sight. At night I used a Benelli M1 Super90 12ga with a 14" NFA barrel and Trijicon front and rear sights.
I finally quit guiding bow hunters because I seemed to get all the shitty shots. But I still had to track wounded bear several times per season.
We hunted bear over bait and over the blueberry fields. We used a dog on leash to track for special occasions. ---- SAWMAN