Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    Have already looked at data from 4 or 5 books, and online too. Was just curious what other people were doing. From what I can tell, the reason hornady went from 2.220” to 2.090” is because people were running into rifles with short throats and having pressure issues, from bullets being jammed into the lands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    So I went to my friends house last night and measured the throat on all 3 of his blackouts. Ruger American Ranch, 8.5” AR, and a 10.5” AR. The shortest by far was the Ruger (they have really short throats). The max COAL for each was, Ruger - 2.024”, 10.5” AR - 2.202”, and the 8.5”AR - 2.062”. So even hornady’s new OAL in the 10th edition is long for 2 of these guns.

Title
    Out of curiosity, what is factory ammo OAL?
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    So I went to my friends house last night and measured the throat on all 3 of his blackouts. Ruger American Ranch, 8.5” AR, and a 10.5” AR. The shortest by far was the Ruger (they have really short throats). The max COAL for each was, Ruger - 2.024”, 10.5” AR - 2.202”, and the 8.5”AR - 2.062”. So even hornady’s new OAL in the 10th edition is long for 2 of these guns.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    the one on the left is 150gr hornady fmjbt seated to 2.220”. The one on the right is a factory Fiocchi 147gr fmj at 2.154”

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    That must be the 10th edition. 9th edition says 2.220”

Pretty sure that's for their IB bullet, which is incorrect anyways.

Hornady published an errata correction to that data: https://press.hornady.com/assets/pct...1522702177.pdf

Page 382, 300 Whisper/AAC Blackout – 150-155gr C.O.L.’s should read: GMX-1.962”, InterBond-2.210”,SST-2.210”, FMJ-BT-2.090”, Interlock RN-1.900”, InterLock SP & BTSP-2.106”, A-MAX-2.110”
    disciplejourney.com

Title
    Premium Member
    I've been loading 150 gr fmjbt bullets in 300blk for quite some time. Once you find the load, very accurate. No I don't seat to the channelure. Puts the bullet to deep in the case and will increase pressure because you are removing case volume.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by handcannon View Post
    I've been loading 150 gr fmjbt bullets in 300blk for quite some time. Once you find the load, very accurate. No I don't seat to the channelure. Puts the bullet to deep in the case and will increase pressure because you are removing case volume.
    Had to load to the shortest throat, so they would function in all 3. The seating depth ended up being just past the cannelure.