Hello loading and hunting wizards. I’ve got questions that I’m hoping you can help with.

I’m eyeing my first ever hunting trip this year, and want some help sorting out my bullet choices. I know I want Barnes (assuming they shoot well in my rifle), just not sure which one. I’ll be hunting Eastern Washington mule deer, so being able to reach out to 400 yds would be good.

I’m shooting a Savage 11/111 trophy hunter pro chambered in 30-06. It has a 1:10 twist 22” barrel.

I bought a box of 180 gn TTSX and a pound of IMR 4064 when I had no clue what I was doing, and recently noticed that it says 1:11 or faster on it. I called Barnes and talked to a ballistics tech. He said it’d be on the edge, and might work but he couldn’t guarantee it.

It looks like my options are either 130, 150, or 165 gn in the TTSX line.

Can you guys share any insights with me on where to go from here? Keeping in mind the range I’d like to reach out to, whatever I pick will need to deliver good stopping power at range. I’m hoping to not just get a “choose this one” answer, but an explanation of why so that I can learn.

Also, any muley tips for a novice would be awesome too.

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk