Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

Anyone else drill their flashhole and run a uniformer for there brass on initial prep

From a guy that I consider a guru of reloading, early on he said if you really want to prep your brass for the most uniform shooting that besides having it sized he also recommended drilling the flash hole so they are all the same and running a carbide uniformer for the primer pocket. I get a lot of brass coming out of the cases on the flash hole drill/shaping and on the uniformer it depends on the case but usually at least the carbon is coming off. These are .243 cases in the pictures.

Does it make a difference, don't know as I do that will all my rifle centerfire brass.

“The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve done it for my precision rifles, but for my hunting rifles no. The benefit is so minor that it’s not worth the effort in my opinion. If you are shooting in matches, and .001” can mean the difference between a win and a loss, then there might be a benefit to it.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’ve done it for my precision rifles, but for my hunting rifles no. The benefit is so minor that it’s not worth the effort in my opinion. If you are shooting in matches, and .001” can mean the difference between a win and a loss, then there might be a benefit to it.

JTD
    I second that

Reloading...it’s like knitting for men.

Title
    Premium Member
    I don’t drill them but for as long as I can remember I have always used a uniformer. It will remove the, sometimes large, burr inside the primer pocket. I believe it does help, because that burr can prevent the primer from seating correctly. It only needs be done on new or once fired cases.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    Uniforming the primer pocket takes material out of the primer pocket so that each primer is seated to the same exact depth, flash hole deburring removes the burr from inside the case where the flash hole enters. Neither one are bad to do and can only help, but for the extra effort, turning a 1” rifle into a .998” rifle, won’t be worth it for most. In multiple rifles I have tested brass with primer pockets uniformed and flash holes deburred, against brass that was similarly prepped except for having nothing done to the primer pockets or flash holes. Those 3/8” rifles were still 3/8” rifles at the end of the day.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    I do ALL my brass in this manner. For the same reason that I check case AND cartridge OAL. UNIFORMITY.
    If I initially do 50 cases like this,sometimes I am amazed how much brass shavings is on my bench.
    Also same reason that I check concentricity.
    It's all part of my reloading "hobby". ---- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2