Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Dillon square deal b

Thinking about getting a progressive for 9mm. Anyone run a Dillon square deal b? I'm going to keep my single stage for reloading rifle cases. Anything bad about the square deal b?

Title
    Premium Member
    It uses odd sized dies only available from Dillon. It’s a bit small, so if you are a big guy with big fingers that could cause issues. Only loads pistol calibers making it less flexible than other progressives.
    But it is still a great little press, backed up by Dillon’s no BS warranty, and you can’t ask for more than that.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    Premium Member
    I looked really hard at the square deal b for a pistol press. The things that turned me away were the proprietary dies and the difficulty changing calibers. If you think you may ever want to load other calibers or any rifle calibers, look for a used 550 for about the same money. It's manual index but once you get in the rythem you can easily spit out 300 rounds an hour and have the ability for rifle or other pistol calibers down the road

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd only be loading 9mm with it. I definitely want to see one in person before making any big investments

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevorlamley View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd only be loading 9mm with it. I definitely want to see one in person before making any big investments
    Buy the 550 it's much easier to do caliber changes etc

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    I own the Square Deal B and like it. When I shot IDPA 15 to 20 years ago I used it for thousands of rounds. I loved it for doing 40 cal. I also picked up the dies for 9mm later. If you have any plans on doing several different calibers or rifle calibers I would pass on it. I have a 550 now besides the SQD B and also a couple of single stage presses.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Title
    Premium Member
    How to you like the square deal b compared to your 550?

Title
    Premium Member
    Honestly I wish I would have gotten the 550b. I love the square deal and for just doing 1 or 2 pistol calibers it was perfect for me. I never had problems with with it. The reason I wish I had bought the 550b is because you can't do rifle calibers. The square deal is set up for 45 now and will probably stay that way now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Title
    I started out with a SDB. I bought a .30-30 rifle and decided to trade for a 550B. Six months later I went into my LGS and he still had my trade in. I shot him a price and he took it. I bought the same press twice and I am still below MSRP. I set the 550 up for large primers/ .45 acp and .30-30 Winchester. I have the SDB set up for small primers in .45 ACP and .38/.357 mag.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by hotshot357; 03-06-2019 at 03:11 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I have a SDB for loading pistol rounds, it’s set up for 45, 9mm, and 38spc. I love it. I had a LNL AP for pistol at first, and just didn’t like it. I felt like it was to much wasted movement to load pistol rounds.

The only downside I’ve seen so far is, I can’t see the powder in .38spc casings. So I just do them on my rock chucker. That being said, I only have one revolver, so it’s not a big deal to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk