Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Title
    Premium Member
    You know,those speeds that you got from Sierra are most likely for "optimal" expansion. IMO if he stated 3000 top end,if it impacted at 3050 or 3075 . . . no discernable difference.
    Doing expieraments with bullets at 300BLK vels,the manufacturers like to use the words like . . . "optimal expansion" . . .
    WTFork is that. Perfect ?? Heck,I would settle for a little less or more than perfect. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    You know,those speeds that you got from Sierra are most likely for "optimal" expansion. IMO if he stated 3000 top end,if it impacted at 3050 or 3075 . . . no discernable difference.
    Doing expieraments with bullets at 300BLK vels,the manufacturers like to use the words like . . . "optimal expansion" . . .
    WTFork is that. Perfect ?? Heck,I would settle for a little less or more than perfect. --- SAWMAN
    I couldn’t agree more. I use their recommendation as a guideline only.

On another note, that bullet was designed for 22-250/220 swift velocities, I’ve read multiple reports online that this bullet out of a 223 does not perform well on coyotes or bobcats, but does well on deer.

In the end, until I try it myself, it’s just stuff that I read online. Hopefully this fall, I will get to find out.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Completely your choice Jeff . . . but just gotta say,there are a ton of good to great,to exceptional,bullets for the 223/5.56 velocities out there. ESPECIALLY for the guns with longer bbls and faster twist rates.
    I have a 24" . . 1:7 . . 5.56 . . that shoots most anything great. It loves the 60gr Nosler Partitions and the <63gr Barnes.
    The 60gr NosParts are a especially a great killer of deer and hogs at the 223/5.56vels.They exit, leaveing a nickle size hole,and do alot of damage going through.--- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I definitely won’t argue that there are better alternatives for deer. Bullets that were actually designed for hunting. This whole thing started because I’ve been stockpiling bullets for the last 30 years, I’ve got so many partial boxes of bullet that were either given to me or I tried and didn’t like. I just happened to read that quip, from a Sierra technician, about the 60gr hp being adequate for deer if driven between 2800-3000fps. I had a half box of them sitting on the shelf, so I said what the hell, I’ll give this a try. I’m slowly shooting up all of the excess bullets I’ve got, that don’t serve a purpose. Now that I’ve found my load for the 60gr hp, I’m going to work up a load for the 55gr Speer gold dot. I picked 200 of these from Wes, and I think they should make a pretty good hunting bullet.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Looking at my bullet shelf,I have about 20-30 bxs that I do not even shoot that caliber any more. Eight or so in .429" and at least that many in .284". --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I just found a box of bullets hidden on the shelf (that I forgot I had ) that reminded me of you sawman! I am working on them right now. When I’m done I will make a post.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    They aren't .416" are they ?? Sold my Rigby about a year ago and still have 3 bxs of bullets for it.
    If I told you just how many partial boxes of .224" bullets I have you would go . . . HUH !!?? After reloading for 10-15 different .224" cal guns (both rifle and pistol) over the last 35 years or so,a person just accumulates alot of "stuff".
    Several times in the past I have tried to sell some partial bxs of different caliber bullets. You would think that this offer would be a new reloaders dream . . . but nobody was interested. Oh well. --- SAWMAN
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    They aren't .416" are they ?? Sold my Rigby about a year ago and still have 3 bxs of bullets for it.
    If I told you just how many partial boxes of .224" bullets I have you would go . . . HUH !!?? After reloading for 10-15 different .224" cal guns (both rifle and pistol) over the last 35 years or so,a person just accumulates alot of "stuff".
    Several times in the past I have tried to sell some partial bxs of different caliber bullets. You would think that this offer would be a new reloaders dream . . . but nobody was interested. Oh well. --- SAWMAN
    I’ve run into the same problem. So many partial boxes. It seems people just want them for free or just aren’t interested. So I’ve held on to them all, and am now just slowly going through them.

JTD