Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

A 223 reloading ?

started reloading the first of the yr,after gathering my equipment since last summer,I have my 9 mm sorted,my 7.62x25mm sorted now going to load up so 223, now for ? load manuals I have show 223 for AR and 223 Rem... for bolt,AR is easy its my 3 lil black rifles,the ? is would loading for a bolt also be considered good for a single shot drop block?

thanks in advance Jerry

Title
    I don’t mean any disrespect but I am a little confused with your question. Are you asking if you can use the same load for your AR as a bolt gun? If by AR data do you mean “service rifle” data? I would not use that for a bolt gun. You should be perfectly fine using regular 223 data for both but like always it’s up to you to do load development for each to find what they like

Quote Originally Posted by Bentstick View Post
    started reloading the first of the yr,after gathering my equipment since last summer,I have my 9 mm sorted,my 7.62x25mm sorted now going to load up so 223, now for ? load manuals I have show 223 for AR and 223 Rem... for bolt,AR is easy its my 3 lil black rifles,the ? is would loading for a bolt also be considered good for a single shot drop block?

thanks in advance Jerry
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    No disrespect at all Sir, I understand and will only reload AR data and work out loads for my AR's but have come across 223 load data in same manual for bolt action rifles,I dont have a bolt 223,I have a single shot drop block 223,just wondering if its acceptable to use the bolt data for single shot. Hope that cleared up last post.

Title
    Premium Member
    and as aside,I a total newbie to reloading and as it goes so far I keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut when being learned,have a FIL that has reloaded for 30+ yrs but he has dementia and is no longer able to help me but he will talk equipment all day,just my luck!

Title
    Personally I have no experience with a single shot drop block but I would assume you would load for it the same as regular 223 data. Have you ever shot it before with factory ammo? I’m just trying to get more information to better help you. What load manuals do you have? Hornady and Lyman are pretty good and I always check multiple manuals

Title
    Premium Member
    Load Manuals I have are hornady 5th edition(which my 9 mms,and 7.62x25mm came out of),lyman 48 I believe,sierra,modern reloading Second edition,nosler 8, and one book/one caliber,no have not shot it yet have some LC 55 fmj going to use for first site in(once the weather decides we can spend time outside),and yes I dwell over or check all books just for reference,thank you I thought as long as I stay under max normal 223 loading would suffice,I do know that different manufactured runs way different in my AR's and took sometime to get them to run very well with the setup I choose,I was curious on the different load data for AR and Bolt rifles.

thank you
    Last edited by Bentstick; 02-11-2019 at 06:11 PM.

Title
    As long as you don’t try shooting 5.56 in that single shot you’ll be fine man! You have a picture I’d love to see what you got

Title
    Premium Member

Title
    Premium Member
    Using the bolt action data for your single shot is the proper thing to do. The bolt guns and single shots both work off of the same pressures, so the loads will definitely be suitable.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Beautiful rifle by the way.

JTD