Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

.458 SOCOM issues

I loaded up about 100 .458 SOCOMs (all stuff from here) took my rifle to the range and the rounds wont strip from the mag and chamber all the way. Now if I take a single round and drop it into the chamber, it falls right in. If I double charge the rifle it will finally seat into the chamber from the mag. I was thinking I need either a stronger buffer spring, or heavier buffer. Ideas, or something I might be overlooking? And dont say lube!
    Last edited by Sean_S; 02-06-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Title
    Be sure you aren’t riding the charging handle forward.

Since I am not allowed to say “lube” I assume you are running it fairly wet as you break it in.

Title
    Premium Member
    Ammo problems ?? Do you have a case go-no go type gauge ??
    Wondering if you re pushing the shoulder back enough. There could be a multitude of suspects here.
    Ammo,gun,mags,user,etc, are the main potential problem(s). Then it could branch out from there. Gotta work through each . . . separately. ---- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    It was a lock back bolt release to feed. Ammo brass was new. They slid right in one at a time. It was like a drag across the top of the shell underneath kept it from fully cambering. If I only put one bullet in the mag it will chamber and bolt will lock back.
    Last edited by Sean_S; 02-06-2019 at 05:18 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    Are you loading to spec.? Sounds like you may need a heavier spring, but that may cause you to not have enough energy to drive the bolt back far enough to grab the next round. If they are feeding fine single, I’m guessing it’s a gas issue. A lighter spring may also allow the buffer to travel rearward faster and, may help fix the feeding issue. Does the bolt lock open,when feeding one at a time? Can you get or use an adjustable gas block? Sounds like you are going to get some range time to try to figure this out..

Title
    Premium Member
    From your above sounds like it could be the mags feed lips.
    Load a full mag. Pull charging handle all the way to the rear and let it go. Take out mag. Pull charging handle all the way to the rear again ejecting ammo. Does the brass have two distinct score lines on it running the entire length of the bigger part of the brass ??
    If so, it is the mag feed lips digging into the brass,slowing down the fwd speed of the BCG. It might not do this with just one or two rds in the mag because of limited upward pressure from the mag spring.
    Smooth/contour the underside of the mags feed lips. That should take care of the problem.
    Guns chambered in 308Win,223/5.56,and others will do the same thing depending on which mag you use. This is why I do not use anything but the MagPul brand in all my guns.
    Let us know what the "fix" is. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    I found that some factory ammo (458 SOCOM) will not fit in Magpul. It has a rib down the inside that sticks out. On single stack the ammo is too long. 223 double stacks and the ammo is on each side of the rib. Same OAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk