Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

Ar 15 lower jigs and routers

I have a question for anyone who might be milling their own AR15 Lowers. I am looking for suggestions for brand of hand held routers to use for this. I have an ez jig gen2.
    Thank you for the help.

Title
    Premium Member
    Randy,

I have been using the DeWalt DWP611. I have done 4 lowers, haven't had any issues. No matter what brand you choose, just make sure you get the collet tight to avoid your end mill slipping. It does get a little warm to the touch after about 4 or 5 passes.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for the information. I was looking at that one. I was hoping to find someone who had used one so I could find out how well it worked.

Thank you again

Title
    Premium Member
    i take half passes also, not quite as heavy a load on the router and seems to turn out smoother on the sides.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you again. Is there any other suggestions you have for me?

Title
    Premium Member
    I have used the Porter Cable #450 to good effect with the gen-2 easy jig. Go slow and it makes beautiful cuts.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for the information. I looked at that one as well. It sounds like either one will work ok.

Title
    I have a couple Gen 2's set up, one dedicated to Large Frame, and one set up for small frame.

I have had very good looking success using my Porter Cable PCE6430. I use older mills to make the first few cuts, and as already mentioned, I decide how much of a bite I take, less is faster. I switch to a new end mill for the trigger cut. That is the only thing I have ever had chatter when milling, and it makes an ugly trigger slot that has to be hand filed.

Title
    Premium Member
    Thank you for the advice.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hillcountry277 View Post
    Randy,

I have been using the DeWalt DWP611. I have done 4 lowers, haven't had any issues. No matter what brand you choose, just make sure you get the collet tight to avoid your end mill slipping. It does get a little warm to the touch after about 4 or 5 passes.
    This is so important. Keep those collets tight and I have an old large Craftsman router I've used, my son-in-laws used and for some reason they do slip no matter how tight you seem to have it and you do not know when it will slip.

An old machinist told me to dip the bit in mineral oil and Crisco mix and that will aid in cutting. One more thing that I found helped is to use a little vaseline in the jig where the not cutting part of the milling bit rides as it will help keeping it from heating up and make things mill smoother.
    “The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts the sails.” -John Maxwell