Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title
    Premium Member

What bothers you about reloading?

So on a very cold, snowy and windy Saturday morning. I have been reloading 6.5 Creedmoor. So I thought I would post this question. Maybe others have something that bugs them a little and maybe someone else has found a solution to help them out. So here goes.

The cup or pan or scoup, what ever you want to call it, for my scale.
    I dont have the new generation small hands, so this thing is always in the wrong spot, and I would say on average I knock it over or drop it at least twice. Who makes something better?

Bullet seat length. I use Horandy (maybe thats the issue) presses. This seems like a magical unicorn to me. My goal is 3.2270, I will set for that length. I will get 3.220 to 3.2290 and everything in between. Sure I understand its not something to get worried about unless you are into competition. But how does one improve so one could even think about trying to compete. I have had ideas on this, maybe a machined block with spaces to the length required, put everything in place, and apply top block with a torque wrench. Same amount of pressure and gap every time. I just need a machinist friend.

Anyone else?

Title
    Premium Member
    The only thing that bothers me with reloading is everyone that ask for me to load their rounds. so they don’t have to buy the equipment or the knowledge to do their own. Other than that I love the peace and relaxation of all of it. And the trying new things [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer8866 View Post
    So on a very cold, snowy and windy Saturday morning. I have been reloading 6.5 Creedmoor. So I thought I would post this question. Maybe others have something that bugs them a little and maybe someone else has found a solution to help them out. So here goes.

I dont have the new generation small hands, so this thing is always in the wrong spot, and I would say on average I knock it over or drop it at least twice. Who makes something better?

Bullet seat length. I use Horandy (maybe thats the issue) presses. This seems like a magical unicorn to me. My goal is 3.2270, I will set for that length. I will get 3.220 to 3.2290 and everything in between. Sure I understand its not something to get worried about unless you are into competition. But how does one improve so one could even think about trying to compete. I have had ideas on this, maybe a machined block with spaces to the length required, put everything in place, and apply top block with a torque wrench. Same amount of pressure and gap every time. I just need a machinist friend.

Anyone else?
    Bullet tip variances are the biggest culprit for your loaded rounds being off. I can’t think of anything off hand that I dislike about reloading, the lack of time I have to do it is my biggest problem.

JTD

Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golfer8866 View Post

Anyone else?
    As far as OAL are you going from base to bullet tip? The Hornady bullet comparator measures the Ogive of the bullet because tips can be inconsistent. The ogive of each bullet can vary with different lots too so there’s that. My pet peeve is when people ask for me to load for them but don’t mention anything about ponying up any$$ or even coming over to learn how. Or one of my friends wanted me to look into equipment they should get because they wanted to try it. They never got back to me about it and now I have a bunch of his brass I’m not gonna load
    An armed society is a polite society

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve got a couple I guess the first pet peeve is trying to keep my bench clean when reloading lol. The other would be trying to explain to people why I spend so much time in my lab. For me it’s time to unwind and relax from being on the road all week and having meetings and a phone constantly in my ear. My Lab is my sanctuary where I’m free to listen to my podcasts or music and tinker with whichever new load I’m working on.

Title
    Premium Member
    So I was going to add in the good stuff. But figured everyone was basically on the same page with why they like it. I love it for the same reason, quite, loud music, time alone to relax and not answer this question or figure out that problem.

As for the ogive, and bullet type stuff. Yeah most of that I am aware of, different sizes and such. I don't measure anything from the tip of the bullet.
    So I guess the main question about that topic would be, from the guys who do shoot competitively. How much + or - do you have in your lengths.

Title
    Premium Member
    I am in the same boat as others above, nothing bothers me more than people that want me to load for them. I offer to teach them how and I get few takers.
    Big Eddy
    Not big and tall but big and round

Title
    My biggest Pet Peeve is that Wes ALWAYS puts something I want on sale, the day after I commit to my weekly budget.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    My biggest Pet Peeve is that Wes ALWAYS puts something I want on sale, the day after I commit to my weekly budget.
    [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]same here

Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddydawg75 View Post
    I think we all have that problem! I’ve been good lately but I know I have an order that’s just waiting to be placed.