Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: 458 socom

  1. #1
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695

    458 socom

    I'm thinking of getting a 458. The debate I'm having with myself is should I get a 458 in an AR platform that I'm not the biggest fan of or do I get the rifle I've always wanted. Its an 1874 reproduction 45/70 sharps. Yes the Quigley gun. I know the pros and con's of both. My question is which one would you get and why. Maybe seeing someone else's perspective can help me decide.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

    Similar Threads:

  2. #2
    JeffreyDeGraff's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,367
    There are AR guys and there are non AR guys. I say whatever floats your boat. Iím a bolt, lever, single shot sort of guy. I have 3 ARís, 223 wylde, 6.5 grendel, and 308. They are not my favorite, but they are fun. If I could only have one 6.5 I would choose the 6.5x55, one 308 it would be a bolt gun, one 223 it would be a bolt gun. If I could only have one rifle in .458, it would be a 45/70 in a lever gun or single shot. Thatís just me, just what I like.


    JTD


  3. #3
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    There are AR guys and there are non AR guys. I say whatever floats your boat. Iím a bolt, lever, single shot sort of guy. I have 3 ARís, 223 wylde, 6.5 grendel, and 308. They are not my favorite, but they are fun. If I could only have one 6.5 I would choose the 6.5x55, one 308 it would be a bolt gun, one 223 it would be a bolt gun. If I could only have one rifle in .458, it would be a 45/70 in a lever gun or single shot. Thatís just me, just what I like.


    JTD
    That's me. I like the old tried and true. I did forget to say I'm gonna be shooting lots of hogs with it. I've got my 45lc rifle for that as well but i was thinking of getting something that was a little faster to reload. But I also plan on hunting out west and taking another grizzly and i can't think of a better rifle than a sharps. Depending on what I find out on the 24th with my lawyer i may just buy both. Lol

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


  4. #4
    SAWMAN's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Cantonment,Fla.
    Posts
    580
    A 458Socom,especially in the AR platform,will not produce the power of a well loaded 45-70Gov't. The AR platform will not have near the bbl length needed for more velocity either.
    i would also be hesitant to shoot non jacketed bullets in a gas gun also.
    You mentioned grizz. That equals a stiff loaded 45-70,>405gr WFNGC (hardcast) ,pushed as fast as possible. Possibly even a 45-90Express. --- SAWMAN

    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

  5. #5
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    A 458Socom,especially in the AR platform,will not produce the power of a well loaded 45-70Gov't. The AR platform will not have near the bbl length needed for more velocity either.
    i would also be hesitant to shoot non jacketed bullets in a gas gun also.
    You mentioned grizz. That equals a stiff loaded 45-70,>405gr WFNGC (hardcast) ,pushed as fast as possible. Possibly even a 45-90Express. --- SAWMAN
    That was my thought. I hunted with a 500gr bullet with the last one I had. It was an 1863 reproduction. Only reason i got rid of it is it was a paper cartridge and was a total pain to clean.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


  6. #6
    JeffreyDeGraff's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,367
    For hogs I would personally go with the AR platform. For everything else, the Quigley.


    JTD


  7. #7
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695
    Yeah for rapid fire the AR is the best choice. My boss is waiting on my shoulder to recooperate and he wants me to help him get rid of as many as possible on his deer hunting land. They've opened the season here in NC to all year and as many as you can kill. I'm gonna scout it and see what all kinds of shots i can make there. Where he normally hunts he said about 100 yrd is a max shot but there are power lines on the property so i know I'll try a long one at least once. Especially if I get the sharps.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


  8. #8
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695
    Now how aggravating is it to get brass for a 458?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


  9. #9
    JeffreyDeGraff's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,367
    Quote Originally Posted by EUDE75 View Post
    Now how aggravating is it to get brass for a 458?

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Wes has been having a good supply of starline.


    JTD


  10. #10
    EUDE75's Avatar
    Title
    Premium Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    695
    Good to know.

    Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •