Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Title

Need some bedding advice(Boyd’s stock mini rant)

So I started a little project, T/C compass with a Boyd’s pro Varmint stock in 6.5 Creedmoor. I got my stock in from Boyd’s and while it looks amazing I had a couple issues, the back action screw hole in the trigger guard was off center(easy fix). When I set the barrel and action in the stock everything lines up perfect, spacing on the barrel is even in both sides. But as I apply torque to the action screws the barre pulls about 1/8” or so left where it is almost touching the stock. I did the paper test on it and it is still free floating but only barely. Question is if I bed the stock do you think it will fix the issue or no?

Title

Title
    Premium Member
    I'm not an expert, but if its shifting to one side when you apply torque to the action screws, then something is off in the inlet or uneven where they wood is carved for the action/barrel to fit. Screw holes may line up perfect, but the inlet contour could be off on one side forcing it to shift when torque is applied. Bedding may help, but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can chime in on this. I've seen others on forums with similar issues. Nice looking stock for sure! I've seen lots of Boyd's that were really nice, but they all seem to need some final fitment to work 100% perfect. I suppose at the cost of their stocks, that's not so bad.
    "Do I reload to shoot more, or do I shoot to reload more?" 30-378 Weatherby, .300 RUM, 7mm Rem Mag, 6.5 Creedmoor, .223/5.56, .375 H&H, .40 S&W, 10mm, .357 SIG

Title
    Premium Member
    Something is wrong with the inletting. I would contact Boyd's and see what they have to say, but yes if glass bedded correctly should take care of the issue.

Title
    Premium Member

Need some bedding advice(Boyd’s stock mini rant)

I have a boyds at one stock on my rem 783. I pillar bedded it and did a front and rear bedding job. I would recommend using Devcon for the bedding material. Boyd's makes good stuff but it can always be customized to your rifle. If it is torqueing when you tighten it down I would bed it. Then again I like to tinker with things and make them better. I wanted to see how accurate I could make a 300 dollar rifle. The at one stock was what I needed seeing that I always have a problem getting lined up with the scope on a factory stock.
    Last edited by Erik; 01-29-2019 at 03:25 PM.

Title
    I just asked Wes about Boyd's stock's. I'm just about to buy one myself for my Remington 700. Anymore pictures of these stock's already installed?
    Plus did OP resolve his problem and how?

Title
    Premium Member

This is my 783 test mule .308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Title
    Did the stock come like that with the check raiser and the extendable but plate?

Title
    Premium Member
    Yes it did. It is the At One model. They have several models that they will make it for

Title
    Great to know. I'm getting one this week.