Download our Android App!
Sage's Android App
Download our Apple App!
Sage's Apple App

Donate to Sages

Title
    Premium Member

6.5 Grendel and HOGS

Well I shot a big Georgia sow with my 6.5 grendel running 123g hornady sst. She was shot in the neck like I usually do with my 223 but she ran way further than I wanted to mess with by myself in the middle if the night in the thicket. My question is what bullet are you running in your grendel for hogs?? I have a trophy hog on camera so head shots are out since we can't see cutters in a thermal wont know its him til hes dead......6.5 Grendel and hogs AAAAAANNNNNDDDD GO!......

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Pjohnson42024; 01-10-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Title
    Premium Member
    I’ve had good success with 100gr barnes ttsx.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyDeGraff View Post
    I’ve had good success with 100gr barnes ttsx.

JTD
    I'll take a look at them

Title
    Premium Member
    For anyone interested the sst almost failed again I will be finding a new bullet !! Shot this guy facing me right in the face twice he spun a bit then dropped for a few seconds then hopped back up and took off too two more shots to the head/neck area to drop him.
    BULLET SUGGESTIONS ??

Title
    Premium Member
    Hornady's 120gr SST in the 6.8SPC (.277") kills hogs ok but seems to most always shed it's jacket early on in it's travel thru the hogs.
    They are only going about 2450 so I am unsure about their makeup no matter what Hornady sez. We joke around about . . . if you want a great varmint bullet for your 270Win,this is it.
    Me . . . I am a big proponent of the no lead bullets. The Barnes TSX,TTSX,are favorites. Hornady also has a line of no lead but have been hearing that they are actually TOO hard.
    My hog bullets are the Barnes 85gr TSX (.277") and the Barnes 110gr TAC-TX (.308") for my 300BLK's. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    I've had good success with the Nosler AccuBond in other calibers...I might have to try it out in the Grendel. They make a 129 grain AB in 6.5mm which might work. A little heavier than most of what I shoot through my Grendels, but not too bad. The problem I've had with the Barnes stuff is that the rifle seems to love it it, or hate it...not much middle ground in my experience. They're definitely tough bullets though, and they'll hold together great if your rifle likes them.

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cynjon View Post
    I've had good success with the Nosler AccuBond in other calibers...I might have to try it out in the Grendel. They make a 129 grain AB in 6.5mm which might work. A little heavier than most of what I shoot through my Grendels, but not too bad. The problem I've had with the Barnes stuff is that the rifle seems to love it it, or hate it...not much middle ground in my experience. They're definitely tough bullets though, and they'll hold together great if your rifle likes them.
    Back years ago, for my hunting rifles, I couldn’t ever get the barnes bullets to shoot well, so I just gave up on using them. In the last few years I hear my buddies talking about how accurate they are, and read on line about how great they shoot, so I pick them up again and give em a go. I can’t believe my results, they shoot great in the rifles I have tried them in. I don’t know if it’s something I am doing differently, or something with the bullets has changed, but I am currently shooting 100gr and 120gr ttsx in my Grendel, 160gr ttsx in my 338 federal, 110gr tac-tx in my bolt action blackout, and 185gr tsx in my 338-06 Ackley. All sub MOA loads. All perform flawlessly.

JTD

Title
    Premium Member
    Even Barnes will tell you that they like a pretty good amount of "jump" into the lands.
    I have had bad results seating them just .002" or so off like most of my other bullets like. If you can,try them about .008 - .012" off. As a byproduct you can boost up your load slightly.
    These bullets should have max (or close to it) velocity,and you should always hit bone going in. I put any TSX or TTSX square on the shoulder if possible.
    Even the Barnes TAC-TX kills great at 2380 coming out of my 300BLK's. Super accurate also. --- SAWMAN
    Why just dance when you can "rock and roll".
    STONER 63A ( MK-23/XM-207 )
    XM177E2

Title
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SAWMAN View Post
    Even Barnes will tell you that they like a pretty good amount of "jump" into the lands.
    I have had bad results seating them just .002" or so off like most of my other bullets like. If you can,try them about .008 - .012" off. As a byproduct you can boost up your load slightly.
    These bullets should have max (or close to it) velocity,and you should always hit bone going in. I put any TSX or TTSX square on the shoulder if possible.
    Even the Barnes TAC-TX kills great at 2380 coming out of my 300BLK's. Super accurate also. --- SAWMAN
    10-4 do any factory loads use them as ibwint have time to order and develop a load before tonight or tomorrow as I'm in the fields about every night doing hog control and like to have options !

Title
    Premium Member
    I will definitely be trying your suggestions just cleaned that old nasty guy and the bullets were exploding as soon as they hit a bone